How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

I meant to say "I was NOT trying not to be vulgar."

Did I mention he''s married?

[..]

I meant "I am NOT even telling ..."

Reply to
Amanda

You might want to check how well Brita pitcher works in filtering Chlorine. I am not impressed with it. I haven't checked how many different filter choices for it though.

With PUR dispenser (pitcher available too) at

it comes to about 25 cents a gallon with PUR Ultimate (2-Stage filter) and 17 cents a gallon with PUR advantge (1-stage filter; CRF 1550) if you buy 3 Pk but you said, you get great discount for Brita. So I don't know what your rate comes to. Note" Trems "Ultimate" and "Advantage" is not used for pitchers and dispenser anymore. Box would say 2-stage or 1-stage.

PUR 1-stage filter is at

Dispenser model that I have it DS 1800; filter required according to the info on that model is CRF 950 which is currently called 2-stage filter for pitcher - used to be called PUR Ultimate. Second stage of filtering is for microbial cysts - GIARDIA and CRYPTOSPORIDIUM - and so it's not necessary for my city water.

To see which contaminants PUR filter for pitchers and dispenser see

Faucet mount has 2 stage and 3 stage choices; 3 stage is overkill IMO, filering things that are not in water supply.

Anyway, I don't understand why the indicator in CRF 950 stops working everytime. I'll try again or try 1 stage this time and see what happens.

If I use enough water, I'll use Aqasana AQ4000 countertop _easy to install - which filters a lot more stuff and better. But filter needs changing every 6 mos regardless of the amount of water use. At $48.00 (for 500 gallaons) , cost is $96.00 per year. I think I use 4 filter replacement (PUR dispenser) the most, hence 40 gallons x 4 = 160 gallons a year at $40/00 the most or less if I use 1 stage filter.

Reply to
Amanda

PUR Pitcher at

Amanda

New design of PUR dispenser DS 1800:

Amanda

1800:
Reviw via
At
"Good product, but deceptively advertised"

Reviewer is referring to

At full review:

"As far as filtration of various unhealthy substances Pur claims its filters were tested and certified by the NSF, a reputable independent lab. I check with the NSF and they confirmed all claims made by Pur. One need to realize that Pur's main filtering element is plain activated carbon, which among other things softens the water by removing minerals, including those like calcium and magnesium that are important for health. Pur on its web site claims that its filters do not have water softeners, which is true but nevertheless deceptive. "

"But my main beef with Pur is its filtering capacity. They claim it to be up to 40 gallons. Pur's definition of "up to" is not what you might expect, however. Actually, it is 10 gallons of normal filtering, after which if begins to take longer and longer, and by about 20 gallons, it pretty much clogged. If you can wait half a day and longer, it will eventually pass the water through for another 10 gallons or so, but even if you don't mind waiting, the big question is whether it's still filtering out anything any more, or maybe even actually releasing what was filtered out previously back in. If you replace it after 20 gallons, this amounts to about 50-70 cents a gallon. So it is still more economical than brand name bottled water, plus the convenience. "

I think I found my answer in the last para which I failed to read yesterady to the end. The current CRF 950 quality has suffered. It cloggs up, not filtering but lettign the water flows, and hence, the red indicator stops moving. I am not buying these filters anymor.

will try Aqasana if I would bother filtering at all since my city water doesn't say it has those microbial cysts.

Crystal Geyser bottled water at 99 cents a gallaon is best for making protein shake.

I was right to suspect that PUR, after getting popular, is cheating us now.

Reply to
Amanda

Sounds good to me. There's even a spring about 10 miles from here, right along a quiet road, where the water comes out about 4 feet above the road. Perfect.

Sure. Leave the cap off so they dry inside, although I'm not sure that is necessary.

Reply to
mm

The amount of water it wastes, in terms of cost, is miniscule. If it's really a concern, you can recover that water in a jug, and use it for plants or something.

RO is the only type of home system that really is worthwhile. The PUR will remove chlorine taste, but it doesn't really do much else.

You can get a countertop RO system, i.e. "

" but it's more expensive than a regular RO system from Costco ($140).

They do have zero waste RO systems now, though they are much more expensive.

Reply to
SMS

Are you sure?

After reading someone saying at epinion.com about the PUR filter plugging up before the end of filter life, today I thought about boiling the water first to remove the chlorine and then cooling it before filtering with PUR. I wonder that would make the filter not get clogged too early.

I like the size of PUR dispenser but will let it go unless this approach doesn't work.

Amanda

That certainly sounds like a PITA. Just putting the water in a bottle in the fridge will get rid of the chlorine in about 12 to 24 hours.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't like cold water. I will have to let it un-cold again. I have a kettle I use all the time to boil water to put into a pot to boil noodle and so it's pretty fast.

Reply to
Amanda