How do I remove the blade from my Black & Decker electric lawn mower?

How do I remove the blade from my Black & Decker electric lawn mower?

Before anyone complains, yes, I've already looked on google, and what it says is "Remove the nut that holds the blade"! Duh. (And what is the point of newsgroups if one has to google things first?)

I have a half-inch socket wrench with a T-bar and I put a 16" pipe on that. I turned the mower upside down. To stop the blade from turning, I put a 2x4 between it and the wall of the house. I turned the wrench and the whole lawn mower moved!!! :(

I sprayed the nut/shaft with PB Blaster, and then I hit the nut with medium-weight pipe to vibrate things. Eventually did this 3 or 4 times, over 4 days.

My version of an impact wrench... I hit the wrench with a short piece of fence post. Didn't work well.

So after trying various arrangements, I used a 2-foot piece of semi-round fence rail to stop the blade, put the mower on its side and held the rail against a rear wheel, and put a 3-foot extensino on the T-bar, and voila, the nut rotated. Changed to a ratchet handle, and kept unscrewing. But no progress. ;(

Now the blade stays still but the nut, the washer, and the shaft all turn together.

I have the kind of impact hammer that you hit with a hammer and it turns the downward force into rotational force. Wouldn't that damage the electric motor at the other end of the shaft? (I have used it in the past and it worked, but never on an electric motor.)

How do I get the blade off?

Reply to
micky

Nut splitter?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Slingblade fixes one here :

Amazing that this guy spends money on new parts for this old piece of junk. John T.

Reply to
hubops

OK I'll concede that one. Seeing the condition of the mower and the old blade - Billy Bob isn't mowing lawn at all. but he must be quite-a-sight with the variac hooked up to his 200 ft cord - mowing the bush .. or the path to the still ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

It's a good thing I posted. I actually have one I've never used.

Giveb that the nut is stuck on, what are the odds the threads on the shaft will be decent after I split the nut?

Reply to
micky

Dunno. The good part is you probably didn't ruin them unscrewing the nut. I don't suppose you have a tap and die set stashed away?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well, that blows my left handed nut theory...

Reply to
rbowman

Are you sure it isn't left hand thread?

Reply to
gfretwell

You're more likely to find info about your particular electric lawn mower on google (or better still, youtube), which has millions of users, than on alt.home.repair, which probably has under 100. Looking at the replies thus far, I'd say that coming here with your question was an absolute bust.

Usenet is severely limited by being a text-only medium. A well-made video is worth 10,000 words.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

This ain't 1995.  Many paid usenet servers now allow binary images to be included with the post.

Reply to
Buck Fiden

Propane torch to heat it up would have been my first thought. That's always been very effective for me. I've never thought about what keeps the shaft from turning without the blade or paid attention to it. I know at least some mowers I've had, the blade locked into the shaft in some fashion, so that even with the BOLT loose, the blade could be used to keep the shaft from rotating. Not sure if they all worked like that, but it seems logical, to keep the shaft from turning. So IDK what's going on with this one, but if he can't hold the shaft from turning now that the nut has backed off just a bit, the nut splitter or cutting it off with a saw would seem to be all that's left. I've done the latter, never used a splitter, mostly because I didn't have one, but had a saw.

And for God's sake Micky, make sure you take the plug off the spark plug wire!

Reply to
trader_4

Let me fix that for you...

And for God's sake Micky, make sure you unplug your electric mower.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We all know Micky. For God's sake Micky, make sure you turn it off first.

Reply to
TimR

I once had to help a new-ish co-worker check the oil on the company pick-up - he wasn't a teenaged summer worker - but a full-time, early 20s guy who owned his own car and went to college. " I can't get an oil level on the dipstick - it's way over full ? " < ... the truck was running >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Micky might go to the toilet and come to ahr to ask how to wipe.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You say above that you looked on google, but did you check the owner's manual? You didn't specify the model you have, but perhaps this would help - especially the exploded parts illustration on page 13:

Retirednoguilt

As a high school kid I was working a summer hire job for the school and the football coach was in charge. We were all a bit afraid of him. Memories are a little hazy on this one after 60 years, but it went something like this.

He needed to check the oil on the tractor before he mowed. So he pulled the oil cap off, then he realized it would not be accurate up on the trailer because it wasn't level. So - leaving the fill cap off - he started the tractor and backed it down. I had no idea this would happen, not being a gearhead, not sure I even had my license yet, but a very fine oil mist arose out of the open fill cap. He was completely coated and his face a different color. This was northern Wisconsin, we had racial diversity if there was a Finn in with the usual mix of Swedes and Norwegians.

He wasn't the calmest guy at the best of times and he let us know it was all our fault for not noticing and telling him sooner. Sorry, dude, but we were all laughing too hard.

Also it wasn't a true ramp but some improvised boards, which became slippery enough the tractor went sideways off them and cracked one of them as it fell.

Reply to
TimR

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 21:33:37 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Were you referring to the mower or the owner?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 06:37:41 -0400, Buck Fiden posted for all of us to digest...

And other servers may not because this not a binary group. Why don't you start & moderate one?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:44:30 -0400, Retirednoguilt posted for all of us to digest...

I tried several combos of your posted link but none would work. Could you post a proper one?

Reply to
Tekkie©