How do I hang sconces?

I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it, and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for this type of thing?

Decided to post a picture:

therenee

Here's what I would do: find a wall stud - drive two small finish nails into it (top and bottom of the sconce) - leave the nails out far enough to hang the sconce. Take some dark colored craft wire and tie the sconce to the nails. If necessary, dab a bit of black paint over the nail heads to further conceal them.

Reply to
louie

Bob

Ah one of the challenging things.

Nails or screws can support this if there are mounted where the curving hook terminates. Which is about the mid-point at the top. If doing it this way I would do the top one only first to find the balance point. Then add the second one at the bottom.

Another way would be to purchase some small cable straps that fit the diameter of the metal, paint them a similar color and use a couple per sconce. The advantage to this method it that there is no concern about hitting studs. Two screws per unit into plastic anchors will hold them just fine.

Happing hanging.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You will put flower pots in the loops? Hang it by hooks or wire that will be hidden by the flower pots.

Reply to
Toller

I don't think they are all there. Stuff I have seen like this before had little brackets that screwed to the wall, and the thing then hung off of those. Were these artisan-made, or in a manufacturers pack? Can you ask whoever gave them to you, where they got them?

I'd fake it with some stout screws and black cable ties or mechanics wire, in spots that are hidden by whatever fits in the holders. A dab of flat black paint will make the screws vanish pretty well. While the total weight of the sconces and the candles will be pretty low, you want something strong enough that people brushing past won't knock them down, unless mounted above furniture or something, (Of course, if kids are in the house, you want them strong wherever they are- stuff like that is a kid magnet.)

Other alternative- some wrought-iron-look coat hooks, and just hang them from the top loop. If kids around, and you can get to the screws, use an upside-down hook at the bottom, and trap the thing between the hooks. Something in the fireplace tool aisle would probably work.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Aem,

They are all there. Pottery barn and others sell this s*** all the time. They don't care whether you can hang it or not. That is why when it comes to this stuff it time by the hour and materials for the installation. Shopping for parts to install it is part of the time charged.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I like this.

Or if you can get matching metal, or metal you can seem to make match, I think Omega clips (that's my name because they are shaped like a greek omega, except the opening is not narrowed) are often used for something like this. One each just below the top and bottom shelves.

If you're a real fanatic, like I can be some times, I haven't done this, but drill holes on either side of the main rod, right next to the rod, as deep as you can and the same diameter as some stiff wire you have. You can get spring wire at a hobby store. You only need one or two pieces. Then bend the wire around the rod, 180 degrees, and shove each end into the hole, as deep as possible. Maybe coat the wire with glue before you put it in. Use thicker wire if you plan to put stuff or heavy stuff on the shelves. Don't use soft copper wire. Use that spring stuff. (The hobby stores also sell softer wire, that looks just about the same. Make sure you get the right thing.)

mm

replying to Bob, Cynthia Harris wrote: I?m looking for a decorative nail and hook because they can be seen when the sconce is hung.

Reply to
Cynthia Harris

You don't say how big/heavy they are nor do you state what type of wall construction ; nor whether they are indoors or outdoors ! gee thanks .. .. we're here to help - not read your friggin' mind !.

John T.

Reply to
hubops