How do I connect a DVD and a VCR to an HDTV?

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT
The top photo is the back of the TV. The middle photo is the back of the DVD. The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.
What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:39:38 -0800 (PST), condo owner

Get the 5 wire set for the Component video. (3 video, 2 sound) That is as close as you get to HD. Using the 3 wire setup, Composite video (1 video 2 sound) will be SD at best, more like NTSC I have a bunch of them and I would send you a set if you like but they sell them everywhere. You might even find them in the trash these days as most people are moving to HDMI
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 00:42:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thrift Stores can be a good source for these. John T.
--- ---
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 12:42:53 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It will be as good as the highest resolution as the DVD is capable of too. I assume the DVD doesn't have an HDMI? It's not in the pic, but it might have one off pic where we can't see it.
Using the 3 wire setup, Composite video (1

Which is fine too, since it's from the VCR and capable of supporting the max resolution that the VCR can put out.

Ebay, assuming he can wait. Locally if you buy them new, they probably will cost $25, while you can probably find them on ebay for $7 or just a couple bucks if you can wait a few weeks for delivery from China.
Add pictures here
✖
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:39:38 -0800 (PST), condo

The whole top row of the TV should get the R, W, G, B, R of the DVD.

For the VCR, The second row of the TV should get the red and white out, and I don' think there is an adapter for the video, so just listen to the sound. I've found that Law & Order works well with just the sound. All of the jacks suggested so far are RCA.
Like GF says, there are 5-wires joined together, or 3-wire and 2-wire. For the DVD
You don't have a coaxial connector on the DVD or TV? If you do, get an RF modulator, like this (Amazon.com product link shortened)ß0&hvadid4024095585&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand86756944049476688&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy07877&hvtargid=pla-312399813821&psc=1 plug the VCR into that and plug the output of that into the TV. Not only for the right jacks but because the VCR is analog and the TV is digital.
Maybe you can find an RF modulator with different otuput jacks that will fit your tv better, if you have no coax connector on the TV. You'll tune the tv to channel 3 or 4 to watch it.

--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

✖
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 04:40:47 -0500, micky

What you want is a composite to component RF modulator, but googling doesn't show any.
Or a composite to HDMI converter, which I thought there would be even fewer of, but it's the opposite: (Amazon.com product link shortened) This is probably a better idea than the one at the top.
You'll need a source of USB power. If the tv hasn't got it, and I don't think it will, get a charger and probably a good one. I don't know if there is a difference between the cheap ones and the ones that come with expensive stuff, like the phone, but I'd use the one for the phone (I always charge my pone from the computer.)
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

✖
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 04:58:41 -0500, micky

Totally ignore the parts about RF modulator. I got that backwards. I need to go to sleep.

Start here.

There are probably others.

--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

✖
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 4:40:54 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

He doesn't need an adapter. The Y connector of the component video is also used for composite from the VCR and it's marked. He needs a five wire cable for the DVD, a 3 wire or another 5 wire using just 3, for the VCR.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:22:48 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Yup the top set of video in has a dual use on the green (Y) port and will take the yellow cable from the VCR (3 wire cable set) Connect the DVD to the second 5 wire set. I would think about hooking an old PC to the 15 pin connector for streaming, MP3 music or anything else you can do on a PC. If you have a 2.4gz wireless mouse you can run it from your easy chair.
Add pictures here
✖
Any old VCR will act fine as a modulator. Just be sure to get one that has hi fi stereo sound, or an old combo with Component out for the DVD side
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/11/19 11:39 PM, condo owner wrote:

My take (but I'm not that smart):
From your posted pics: TV has only inputs (no outputs) You have shown us the DVD outputs, but not the inputs. We need to see the DVD INPUTS, as well. The VCR has very basic inputs/outputs.
Also, you haven't told us where the broadcast/cable input is coming from? From an antenna? From a cable (or other) "tv box"? What kind of outputs are available at your "signal source"?
Also: The old VCR -- is it intended ONLY for playback? Or would you still want to record to it? (in this day and age, I can't see why)
DVD -- again, playback only, or will it be used for recording?
The tv doesn't seem to have a way to directly connect the old VCR.
I wonder if the following could work?
1. Connect VCR 3-plug output to DVD 3-plug INPUT (if there is one) 2. Connect DVD 5-plug output (component video out) to tv 5-plug INPUT. 3. Connect your signal source to the DVD (and perhaps run a second source input directly to tv).
Now, you can do this: - Signal source input (broadcast/cable) directly to tv - Play from DVD into tv (component input) - Record from signal source to DVD - Play from VCR "through DVD" into tv ??? (not sure if the input from VCR can be "passed through" the DVD and "out" of the component output).
--- ---
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 1:13:23 PM UTC-5, J.Albert wrote:

We

What DVD inputs? The DVD sends video and audio, it's not a DVD recorder.

Yes it does, composite video on the Y connector, it's dual use.

Add pictures here
✖
On 1/12/19 12:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

That (combination component / composite input) seems to be really common around here.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/