How do extendable snow brushes work?

Snow brush? I don't need no stinkin' snow brush.

One day while my bitch was at work, I cleaned out the garage. All the junk shit she was saving is now at the local landfill.

I'll admit I wasn't too popular for a few days but now I park my car in the garage.

Reply to
Manley Mann

Even better if you apply rain-x before winter. I hit the remote starter and after just a little warmup I can easily push off the whole coating. If I wait a little longer it slides off.

Reply to
George

Old polycarbonate Compact Diskc work pretty good if you don't shatter them - just for frost - not hard ice.

Reply to
clare

Remote starter..... NOT! It's costly to burn up several gallons of gas to defrost a half inch coating of ice, not to mention having to wait a half hour or more before I can drive.

And my old farm truck heater is nearly worthless. I suspect it dont have a thermostat, but I'm not screwing with it in the cold.

I used to pour hot water on the ice, but was told by a mechanic that it will crack windshields, so I stopped doing that.

There has to be something that will scrape the ice, but those cheap plastic scrapers are worthless. I was wondering if a piece of brass sheet metal would work, and not leave marks? I thought of cutting a groove in the end of a hardwood 1" dowel, and gluing a piece of brass in it, about 3" wide?

Reply to
homeowner

Several gallons? I think that would be pretty unlikely.

The whole point of a remote starter is you don't need to wait. As you are sitting there eating breakfast or whatever you usually do before leaving you tap the button. The car starts and warms up. Aside from the convenience it is considerably safer because you can actually see out all of the windows.

Reply to
George

Charlotte NC passed a law that more or less states that you can not leave a car running and not be in, or next to it. Too many were getting stolen as people were warming them up and going back inside the house. This was probably cars not started remotely,but started with a key and the keys were then left in the car.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We have a similar law. I'm not sure if there are exceptions are remote started cars have interlocks and the engine will die as soon as you hit the brake pedal to shift into gear.

Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Figures I've seen are about an ounce of gas per minute. (will vary with engine of course) and at today's prices that is about 3¢ a minute. So, five minutes is 15¢ on a typical day. Maybe a gallon a month in the winter, again in July and August, very little the other temperate months. .

If my car has a half inch of ice, I'm going back to bed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just checked the CT law. Talk about dumb, they have a law but will not give you a ticket or fine, just a warning. School busses though, are subject to $117 fines.

Connecticut law prohibits vehicles of all kinds from unnecessary idling for more than 3 minutes. Provisions are made for weather extremes, certain service vehicles and health-related conditions. For text on Anti-Idling Regulations in Effect in Connecticut: R.C.S.A. 22a-174-18 - This regulation applies to ALL vehicles in Connecticut and is enforced by DEEP Field Staff.

Check your stat here

Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WTF is this supposed to mean?

Reply to
ktos

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:0KudnTF-F-1al4TMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

As soon as anyone steps on the brake to get into gear, the car shuts OFF. I had no idea it was 20 degress in NC.

Reply to
ktos

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He is a dumbass.

Reply to
ktos

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You must live at the equator. I had the defroster on high speed and temp at the most hot. Cleared off a spot on the window to see and floored the car out of the drift and into the sunlight. Car sat there idling and in sun for about 45 minutes while I cleared off all the snow. Still kept it idling while I plowed the drive with the truck. After all that there was still ice hunks clinging to the wipers. I ordered one of those snow pushing things. It'll probably still be snowing in April.

Reply to
ktos

What is this world coming to? When you need a law to guide people to do something that common sensical?

.

Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stolen without permission from:

An 11-year-old boy has died in the blizzard slamming the East Coast this weekend, after becoming overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning. The tragic incident took place while the boy waited in the family's car as his father shoveled snow outside in the winter storm. It has been reported that the 11-year-old's father was outside trying to dig the family's car out of a snow bank in their Dorchester neighborhood, after Boston was hit particularly hard by Winter Storm Nemo this weekend.

The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.

Unknown to the father, the car's exhaust pipe was covered over by the snow bank and was blocking the fumes from escaping, causing the car to fill up with the toxic fumes, according to AP.

It was also reported that the father later went into respiratory arrest, and both he and his son were rushed to Boston Medical Center, where the father was given emergency treatment. However, tragically the 11-year-old boy was declared dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wow, only took a couple minutes, too.

Not like it was a furnace that went bad last year, and took months to build up.

.

[...]

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

Reply to
devnull

After they install bullet proof glass in cars.

Reply to
Doug

Probably already?

.

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He is not the only one. At least one other dies the same way in CT. Snow around the exhaust allowed the CO buildup.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski