House Painting question

I need to have the trim on my house painted: eaves with three foot overhang and a 2x12 Facia Board, about 1700 sqft altogether, all previously painted and in pretty good condition. The underlying wood is rough-sawn. I am using flat paint to preserve the rustic look.

One contractor suggested 2 coats of paint sprayed on; another contractor said it would be better to spray on one coat and go over it with a roller to press the paint into tiny cracks.

What is the better way? What will last longer?

Thanks

Walter

Reply to
walter

I would spray one coat and then roller it, and then spray a second coat.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Roller or spray + roller

Reply to
dadiOH

Spray will drift down and mess up the whole side of the house and windows, so you have to cover everything and then any wind can move the spray and paint anything 50 ft away. It could be more alot work to spray and it wont be any better. Powerwashing, scraping loose paint and using the best paint will make a difference.

Reply to
ransley

We used large brushes for our rough cut cedar siding applying solid stain. (I'm not sure what the difference is between solid stain and paint since the solid stain looked just like paint. Maybe a tad runnier.) The 6" exposure made rollers sort of impractical.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That's the normal way of doing things. I put up cedar clapboard siding, rough-side out, on my last house. I used a 4" brush to stain it. I used throw-away "chip" brushes to put oil primer on (before putting up the clapboards), then a good brush to apply the latex top coat.

Solid stain is essentially a thin paint.

Reply to
krw

Without resin

Reply to