hot water boiler not circulating

OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new pressure release valve. I turned on the system later and everything started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?

Reply to
treno

bigjimpack

e quoted text -

A Troll, system starts shakin!!! Or fill to 10lb , bleed radiators and wait to see what hot lb it reaches, by the way I know nothing about boilers im a HO , If it shakes it bakes and breaks , easy-bake- oven , or it then blows, have fun.

Reply to
ransley

There comes a time when you bite the bullet and call a professional. I think you've reached it!!! If it is indeed rumbling, as well as blowing the T&P , you may have a defective high limit, and the boiler is overheating, or any number of other possibilities beyond your ability

Reply to
RBM

Another possibility is a defective autofill. All of this is easily diagnosed by a boiler tech

Reply to
RBM

OK, I should have mentioned I have not been able to find a boiler repairman, as it is between X-mas and New Years. Also, the more I know the less it will cost me.

Is there another group I should try?

Reply to
treno

Just ask what you really want. What you want is for someone to tell you exactly how to fix the problem for free and where to find the parts for free. It aint going to happen. Pick up the phone and call a reputable co. Otherwise, keep futzing with it. Oh yeah, your story about not finding a repairman because its between X-mas and New Years is total bullshit. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yeah Bub, I would like someone to tell me how to replace a pump to a hot water boiler system - for free.

Reply to
treno

Hold it right there!!

In between "I drained the system" and "I started up the system" there SHOULD have been "I refilled the system."

I didn't see that. DID you refill the system??

I ask, because these symptoms...

.. are *exactly* what I'd expect to see if you restarted the system without filling it first.

By the way... chances are, it's not your pressure relief valve that was the problem to begin with. It's more likely to be the pressure-reducing fill valve (the one that allows water from the regular plumbing system to enter the boiler).

Reply to
Doug Miller

About 10 to 12 years ago, I lived with a hot water heating system. Loved it, but time moves on...

As I recall, there was a drain and fill event that I lived through, and then a few hours after the system restart, one of the 5 pumps wouldn't pump. See if this has anything like yours:

Between the B&G motor, and the actual pump there was a network of springs and what not that connected the pump shaft to the motor shaft. Memory going soft on me, but I seem to recall that after the restart that spring assembly snapped. Was about a $12.00 replacement part. And maybe 3 hours of cussing and fuming. Once I learned (figured it out) how it all went together, may be a 12 or15 minute job. (Right tools, right technology, right training, ....you do need all three)

As I recall, I just went to a plumbing supply place that also listed Hot Water Heating Systems parts as part of the store's inventory. Not all plumbing supply houses carried Hot Water Heating parts. I just described the spring thing, and they asked about the size of the hot water pipe, and knew what the part was, and sold me what I needed.

Seems there could have been a large air bubble going thru the pump, and this spring assembly goes busted. Don't know if by design or safety feature to save either pump or motor. Generally, in 3D, the shaft of the motor may not be in the exact alignment with pump shaft, so spring assembly bridges the two shafts and transmit the power to the pump.

As I said, may not apply to your case, and my memory is not as good as it once was.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

One of the problems with hot water boilers, is you MUST get ALL of the AIR out. At the higher points in the piping, there should be a Hoffman Air Vent. As the system is filled, air must be purged. Also, pumps are meant to pump water, and if there's any air in the impeller, it won't pump well. You must be sure all the air is out before starting.

Reply to
Zyp

No, not really. You need to get *most* of the air out, sure. But *all* of it? Every last bit? Before starting? Naaaah.

Reply to
Doug Miller