hot tub electric

Just rented a trencher to run underground electric to my garage and decided to dig a trench and run conduit for a future hot tub. The entire length is about 50 feet and I bought 1.5" conduit for the job. The trench will be no more then 18" deep as that is the limit of the trencher. My question is what type of wire should I run. I understand 6 gauge but do not know whether to run UF or THWN. The wires will come off a 60 amp breaker on main panel then travel the 50 feet to a disconnect I will mount on a treated 4x4. I believe these spa disconnects come with built in GFCI? At the disconnect I will have a protected outlet for radio or whatever. Also do I need to sink a ground rod at main disconnect as if it was a subpanel? ANy advice, guidance or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Another question....For my garage I ran 10/3 UF 12" underground in 1" conduit. Do I need to run that off a GFCI breaker? Right now I have an extra standard 30 amp double breaker and will plan to use it if the GFCI is not necessary. The garage has all indoor outlets but does have 3 exterior lights.

Reply to
rodney_morgan

For your hot tub, four #6 THWN in conduit buried min 18" is code. You don't need uf if the conduit is continuous.The spa disconnect should have the GFCI protection in it if it's not self contained with the spa support equipment

The feeder to your detached garage does not meet code at 12". Supplemental GFCI protection also doesn't meet code, as it's over 20 amps, but doesn't hurt to have the added protection

Reply to
RBM

No, they dont always "come with" a GFI disconnect. I ve had to add one for the 3 tubs I ve had. Two have had the 2 pole 40A GFI breaker in my regular panel. The other was in the box outside near the tub.

Before you "pull wire", decide what tub you need and find out its requirements, then gauge the wire to the equipment

Rudy