Hot Tub

I need help! I have a hot tub that was given to me that was broke.

I bought a pump for $200 and got someone to hook it up, that was not a electrician, Somehow it would only run from a extension cord and it would cut off if you ran it from the box they put on my wall.

It can run! I seen it! I just will not heat up.

So I got two more dummies to come look at it and one said that the box with all the wires was not good I needed another one and I should have bought a new tub altogether....

the other one said it was the wire running from the tub to the box ( which is side 8-? he said I needed a 12-? )to run from the box on the wall to the box on the tub......which that would be $50 for that wire. Then he would charge me $100 to put it on and was not sure if that was even the problem..

I do not see what all this has to do with getting it to heat up. What should I do? I have spent more than $400 on this hot tub not including the concrete. I cant find a local hot tub repair. I have all kinds of uncertain people telling me I need to buy more stuff for it .....I probably do not need. It has been sitting in my back yard for several months and now I have tadpoles living in it.....

Any suggestions very much appreciated

I have posted this before and someone gave me a diagram of a wiring guide...But I know nothing about electricity!

Reply to
Jessica W

From your description and making some assumptions. The tub's wiring is not proper. If the pump runs off of an extension cord. To me that is an dead give away that the grounding and gfci are not working properly. Most spas I have worked on require the pump to run before the heater will come on. The switch that makes this happen is called a flow switch. There are LOTS of electrical connections to make all of this happen. I suggest that you get a hold of an pool contractor or an real electrician. Be prepared for some possible bad news. You might need a new heater. Free is not always a good price.

Reply to
SQLit

its time to call a pro. you cant fix it, and the dummies cant fix it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I have searched for a pro I cant seem to find one that is close to me

Reply to
Jessica W

I thought it was not getting enough power.... So why does it cut off when ran from that box? How come it will only work from the extension cord. What do you think I need to buy? a flow switch? How much should this cost to get it hooked up properly?

electrician.

Reply to
Jessica W

Is it possible that it should be 240V and the extension cord (bad idea!!!!) is pluged into a regular 115V outlet???

You need to call a real electrician or spa expert.

Reply to
Red Neckerson

If you go to this forum and ask there you might get some better answers or where you can find a pro in your area. They helped me with my tub a couple of months ago.

ivan

What kind of testing have you done to come to this conclusion?

Because something is not wired properly or is broken.

Because something is not wired properly or is broken.

I think you need to hire a professional that understands how the system works and can repair it. I understand how hard this person can be to find but if three local people that can see and touch the unit can't tell you what it wrong with it (or you don't believe their diagnosis) how do you think someone over the Internet is going to be able to tell you? It could be any piece of the unit and if you don't understand electricity the only choice you have is to find someone that does to come and fix it.

That depends on what is broken or not wired properly. It could be as simple as one loose wire which would be a minimum service call to a new heater or control box that could cost hundreds.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I agree, he needs a pro, which shouldn't be hard to find, as spas are sold everywhere. This isn't something you can diagnose long distance and it isn't something to fool around with if you don't know what you're doing. I sure wouldn't get into a spa with AC wiring that some clueless amature fiddled with. And perhaps before calling a pro, a simple evaluation of the spa is in order, like how old it is, what shape it appears to be in, what else appears to be wrong with it, how long it's likely to last, etc.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Sounds to me like your heating element is shot. That's a job for a pro, probably about $300. It might just be the thermostat. Surely there is someone in your area who fixes hot tubs unless you live in the middle of Death Valley.

Reply to
R.Smyth

Nonsense. Anyone who is a little bit handy can replace the heating element themselves. The elements can be found online for less than $50 including shipping. No specialized tools or skills needed.

Probably the least likely cause.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor