HOT Please help me... Air conditioner wont work HOT

If you plugged it in all the outlets it must be 115 volt unit. Did it trip breakers when plugged in each outlet, or just buzz in some of them?

The buzzing sound could be the compressor pulling Locked Rotor Amps (LRA). Could be a grounded compressor or bad run capacitor, etc.

It could be a lot of things that may or may not be costly to fix.

I am wondering if a smaller Btu/hr room A/C would not have been adequate.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

I have a Sharp Comfor Touch 13500 BTU Air conditioner in my living room. Last summer i plugged it in one of my outlets in my living room and it was working perfectly. This year that outlet is a bit screwed up so I tried putting it in the other ones which prodiced a wierd buzzing sound and then my power went of in the kitchen and living room... I tried every outlet in the kitchen and living room to the same effect..buzzing. I understand that its a powerful AC but i tried every outlet to no avail. Please help me cause i am sweting profusely. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Flushme81

i recommend absorbent towels

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

First take a look at your breaker box. Are you blowing 15A or 20A breakers. If you have many 15A circuits, they may not have enough current for your AC. Look at the service nameplate on the AC unit. It will say how many Amps it requires. this number needs to be smaller than the number of Amps in on the breaker.

I also assume you are not trying to plug a 220V AC into a 110V outlet since the plug on the cord should make it obvious that won't work.

In the kitchen especially, you will be sharing that current with other stuff like the refridgerator and toaster oven etc. The two heavy loads combined on one circuit will usually trip a breaker so try turning some other stuff off.

Buzzing noise. Coming from the AC unit I suspect not the walls or fuse box (I hope). In this case, it sounds like the AC is trying to start up its compressor or fan and it is stuck. This condition uses lots of current and will trip a breaker most of the time if the AC doesn't kick its own thermal breaker first. If the fan is what is stuck you can probably reach in with a stick and give it a few turns but if the compressor is frozen (pun) then the AC is junk. Did you store the unit properly (right side up) or on its side?

I suspect the bearing on the compressor is siezed and since this happened during storage and not operation there is a good chance that once you get it going it won't happen again until next year perhaps.

Frozen motors (fan or compressor) is a mechanical problem that sometimes can be solved by banging, kicking and bashing the unit. If this does not work, it's broken anyway and these actions will make you feel better (but not cooler). The skill is in knowing just how to bang on things to get them going and when to give up (This IS a legitimate troubleshooting technique)

Occasionally the motor is OK but a starter capacitor has failed, which can be replaced at a reasonable cost if you can find someone to correctly diagnose it. Otherwise, buy the cap and try it anyway if yours has one. Air conditioners are not cheap and worth trying to fix in most cases. but just like with a fridge, if the compressor or refridgerant are bad, it's time to get a new one.

Reply to
PipeDown

Sounds like you need an electrician to wire you a dedicated socket. Your AC isn't getting enough power.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you so much Udarrell, Stormon Mormon, and esp PipeDown. I apprecaite all of you taking your time to help me out.

I am blowing the 15A breakers. And i took the cover of the AC to see if the fan is going. It was but still making the noise so i gave it a few "smacks" and still it wouldnt stop.

My AC is a Window unit so it has been there since last year. Also I have a Sharp and i just bought it last year so it shouldnt be broken right?

The biggest thing is that the outlet that the AC was plugged in last year is cracked so i need to replace the socket. I have a replacement socket, so i guess i need to find out directions on how to install it.

Reply to
Flushme81

If you were trying this unit in so many outlets, you must have been using an extension cord. That is a bad idea for a window a/c of that size. Unless you have one of those SERIOUS guage extension cords ($$), then that may be the cause of your buzzing. You are on the verge of an electical overload or a fire.

Beyond that, what they others have said is right. You need to get an electrician to install an isolated circuit for this a/c.

Reply to
El Guapo

Easy to do. TURN OFF THE POWER. Remove the cover plate. Unscrew the receptacle and pull it out gently. Take off the wires and put them on the new receptacle the same way. Gently push it back in the box, tighten the screws, replace the cover.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea.. the extension cord that im using is orange and is like 50 feet and thick so im guess its the proper one.

Im trying to find a way to replace the outlet w/o an electrician cause it would cost alot.

Reply to
Flushme81

Ask all your friends. someone out there knows someone who does electric.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Update: Installed the new outlet but AC still makes noise. Was on for about a minute with no troubles(no fuse blow outs) Hope everthing goes well. Thanks for everyones help.

Reply to
Flushme81