Hose bib question

Hey All, We have two hose bib valves in our house, one for the front hose and one for the rear hose.

I turned them both off today, and was surprised to find that when I opened the outdoor valves no water came out. I expected at least some water to drain out from the lines. I thought that the lines contained water from the bib valve all the way to the spout where you connect your hose.

Is this normal?

Thanks, Drew

Reply to
Drew Dawg

On the inside valve there should be a drain petcock. Keep the outside valve open and then open the small drain petcock with a bucket underneath. The reason no water is coming out should be twofold. 1) the water line should run uphill from the inside valve to the outside (to accommodate drainage to the inside petcock) and 2) there is a vacuum in the small amount of pipe that will remain if only the petcock is opened (hence the reason to open the outside valve for the drainage portion).

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury