Hook on hollow core door

I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door.

I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold.

I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they do come out they're going to damage the door even more.

My idea is to bridge the door with a thin board from stile to stile, screwed into the wood at the edge of the door. Then use a toggle bolt through the board.

Any obvious flaw in that? Anybody know how wide those wood pieces are?

I could also hang from the top rail down, I guess.

Reply to
TimR

IDK what you plan on hanging from the hook, but just toggle bolts are plenty for any reasonable hook usage I would have. Even basic plastic anchors would be enough to hold a towel, jacket, etc. If they fail and damage the door as you fear, then you could still go to your board across it all to cover it. KISS is my solution.

Reply to
trader_4

It all depends on what you expect to be hanging from the hook, if it is just a bathrobe and towel, then these hollow core door anchors work great.

OR

Stormin' Norman

I'd expect only about 1.5 inches of inner frame - but that will do fine. If you want to pretty-it-up - maybe router a decorative edge and/or add some decorative scroll ?

or toll paint .. just so it doesn't look like a board screwed to the door .. :-) ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

Just 5-Minute epoxy one of these plaques to the door, wait 301 seconds and then fasten your hook to the plaque.

Tommy Silvuh

I like the plaque idea, but I found an over the door clamp that fits without banging the frame, and that seems the safest.

Thanks all.

Reply to
TimR

replying to Stormin' Norman, joe america wrote: if you don't like it here move ! Say to Saudi Arabia, Burma Venesuyla

Reply to
joe america

Epoxy

Reply to