honda snow blower repair

I have a Honda HS 520 snow blower,trying to replace the scrapper bar which has 3 carriage bolts,I cant seem to get the flanged nuts off,the whole bolt turns,being carriage bolts there is no way to stop the bolts from turning,because it is tight against the frame I cant hold it ,tried pliers ,vice grips ,not enough room to grab on to,suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

Reply to
pacca

Howdy,

I've not been in that situation, but...

I'd try drilling into the head of the bolt, and screwing into the hole a screw extractor.

Grab that with a vicegrip, and you should be able to back off the nut.

After all that, I'd be sure that they were in square holes. If so, I'd get the proper size carriage bolts. If not, you might want some sort of bolt with a similar head shape but with a hex socket to keep 'em from turning...

Good luck with it,

Reply to
Kenneth

Grind or cut the heads of the carriage bolts off and punch them through.

Reply to
tnom

Using a Dremel tool, cut a slot into the head of the bolt so you can prevent it from turning with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Ken

Use a nut-cracker or Dremel a slot in the head (as Ken said)

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Or a hack saw if you don't have a dremel. Or get yourself a set of Grabits.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

"blue point wrench" - AKA "hot chisel"

Reply to
clare

Best way to hold the bolts while you turn the nuts off is to take it to a welding shop and have the folks there tack the bolt heads lightly with their wire welder. The nuts will turn off easily, especially if you lube them as suggested in other threads on this NG. If the bolts are damaged and must be removed, it can be done by any common means, Dremel tool, whatever. If the bolts are OK, paint them with Rustoleum and use new nuts with a liberal dose of Permatex Anti-Sieze available at AutoZone, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc. Next time service will be a half hour job instead of all day. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That was my thoughts. Plan B, Dremel two sides of the head square and use a box, or adjustable wrench to hold the bolt.

Reply to
Oren