home inspections

There is often NO relationship whatever between assessed value and actual value.

Doug Miller

So the buyer didn't make his offer contingent on an inspection. This means he is willing to take the risk of becoming the owner of your property without the comfort of a second opinion. He may wish a fast close.

If you are happy with the other terms of his offer take it.

The inspection clause is often tossed in for a couple of reasons. First the buyer is worried about getting stuck with a lemon, and seconly the buyer is hoping a defect or two will be found to reopen the negotioations for price.

A buyer may elect to omit an inspection clause if he wants to lock in the property. If the most simple offer is accepted, all cash no contingencies the deal is done when the seller says yes and the buyer takes the money. The buyer does not risk delaying the close of the deal and giving the seller a reason to be tempted by other offers.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Um, well....if the owner knew of the significant defects and didn't disclose them, then you would have recourse against the owner. Right?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

It is all about what the buyer wants. I bought a newly constructed house and on my offer I required an inspection, radon testing, several fixes, and closing in 5 days. The seller has the option of refusing the sale or making a counter offer. House sales are based on local and state laws. Strange, I had to "prove" that I was not married before I could buy (I guess that prevents buying a house behind your spouse's back.)

Reply to
Phisherman

you're getting a hack job here. buncha armchair 'experts' giving you advice. you're asking the wrong question anyway.

do yourself a favor. forget you started this thread, go down to your lawyer, and have them review the contract line by line with you. if you see something you dont understand, have them explain it to you. if you see something you dont like, change it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

wrote

An offer means nothing if the buyer can't get credit. Was this buyer pre-approved for credit? Most serious buyers want to bring in their own contractors/inspectors/friend, and are willing to pay for it. You may find you are just wasting time with a deadbeat.

Reply to
johnny

I do not trust home inspectors. Every one that I have come in contact with is a maroon in some respect. My current home is in the final stages of selling. The inspector sited, no gfci in bathroom, home built in 1999 and there are sticker that say gfci protected on each plate, gfci outlet is in another bathroom. WTF do you want? I guess that he could not plug in his $20 tester and read it. Another one was, tub drain slow, compared with what? It drains in less time than it takes to fill.

I spend a couple of hours sighting the code sections that apply and send it back. The home I am buying I am doing the inspection myself. I do not need to spend $400.00 for a maroon to tell me what the deficiencies are. Your buyers may feel the same.

If there was a season on home inspectors, I would have my limit the first day. As far as I am concerned it is just more government crap to invade our lives.

Has your realtor handed you the form to fill out for the homeowners claims you have had? That one is new this year.

Do you know you have to report a death in the home, BUT NOT if it is due to AIDS....

Reply to
SQLit

Crapshoot?! P.T. Barnum had a saying about people like you. You're about to invest in a piece property valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars and your not willing to fork over a measly few hundred dollars to know just exactly what your buying? It's one thing if it's a seller's market and you have to make a very competitive bid or if you are very knowledgeable and can spot the big ticket items. But if you opt to not do a home inspection because of the cost, then you're probably not financially ready to own a house yet.

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

then you would have recourse against the owner. Right?

Proving that a home owner knew something & did not disclose it would be pretty impossible unless the guys is a moron & ran his mouth all over town or got a bunch of estimates

Reply to
longshot

Or painted over a ceiling where it was leaking, etc.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:24 GMT, "Greg M" scribbled this interesting note:

It is just as much of a crapshoot to hire an inspector as all you are getting is what that inspector's expert advice can offer, and that is making a lot of assumptions about the actual state of expertise!:~)

John Willis

contact with

He probably wanted a separate GFCI in each bathroom, each fed by its own branch circuit and breaker. Daisy-chaining one bathroom to the other would not fulfill that goal. I don't have the code cite handy, but I believe that was code even before 1999.

Probably compared with what his experience tells him is a reasonable time for a tub to empty if the drain pipe is pitched properly and free of obstructions.

What was your finding about the GFCI issue?

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:30:08 -0700, "SQLit" scribbled this interesting note:

Holding in all that stress can be bad for your health. Let all out and tell us how you really feel about home inspectors!:~)

John Willis

Yes and no... there are certification programs, and some states have licensing requirements that hopefully ensure some minimal degree of competence. IMO you can improve your odds by looking for someone who has the letters PE (Professional Engineer) after his name in the phone book.

Doug Miller

Either the buyer is not aware, or does not care, and they want the house.

At our location, if someone sells a home, they are responsible for any defects, that has not been written in to the agreement. There is no excuse, "I didn't know". Some of the sellers will have an authorized inspection done at their own expense, to know the condition of their own home, and have the results documented in to the description of sale. This way, the inspector can be held liable to some degree, also depending on the type of defect.

Reply to
Jerry G.

As I recall, there is legal recourse (not a very inviting prospect if you need to use it) for major flaws that have been concealed by the seller. But if he sold without knowledge of a flaw leading to a failure after sale he, the seller, is generally in the clear.

I've sold two houses and bought three all without inspections, all before the current craze for prepurchase inspections. It seems to me that, after considering the age of the house, its apparent level of maintenance and the neighborhood in which it is situated, a moderately knowledgeable buyer might well choose to dispense with an inspection.

SJF

Reply to
SJF