Cash offer on your house

Have you seen the TV ads where some realtors are offering to buy you house? No showings, no fix up, no stress. Seems like an easy fast sale so could be a good idea. Well, , ,

I had a call yesterday asking if I wanted to sell. Just for fun, I said yes if the price was right. I did not give my address but gave one on my street that is comparable just to see what they would do. While on the phone, he looked it up and gave me an offer.

I've been here 3 years and my neighbor sold about 9 months ago so I had a rough idea. According to Zillow, they say $381k. I think that may be a bit on the high side. The cash offer was $300k. I'm sure they would list in the 380 range and make a nice profit. Houses here are selling in a couple of days after listing.

I could make a nice profit on my house but I'd have to buy another so it makes no sense. The profit on the sale of this one would be more than I paid total for my first two houses (1966 and 1981).

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In 1977 I bought a house, sold it 30 years later for alomst 4 times the buying price. Last year I built a 600 sqft carport type garage that cost as much as the 1200 sqft house I bought in 1977.

It does no tmake any sense to sell a house and buy another just for the money. I bought a house because I wanted to change locations and a different type house and more land. It cost about twice as much as the one I sold.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, you could live in a tent. Florida has great parks.

You'd have all that spending money.

Sounds like you're older than I am.

Reply to
micky

Paid $63700 40 years ago. Five years ago it was appraised at $325000. If I listed it for $735000 today it would sell within a week for north of $825000. FANTASTIC!!!! But what could I buy for less????? There is virtually nothing on the market locally.

My daughter bought her Condo townhouse 9 years ago for $124000. Hers is an end unit. A middle unit in her complex was listed for $500000 last week and sold for $615000 in less than a week - - - - Not an option for me as it is on SIX levels - like a silo.

Wife wants to sell and rent - but nothing decent available to rent for under $3000 a month locally and not willing to leave the area / friends etc.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Turned 76 in September. Three years ago today I closed on this house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dibs on Koreshan. I know some nice places in the Ocala NF too, or over on the Apalachicola.

Reply to
rbowman

We never thought we'd live in our previous home more than 3-5 years as I was on active duty at the time and expected orders to new duty stations. Ended up homesteading (staying put) for the rest of career and retired

16 years after moving there. By that time, we'd put down local roots and decided to stay put. We're not the type that feel the need to redecorate after x number of years and only made necessary repairs/replacements of essential stuff (roof, HVAC system, etc.) when it became necessary. Long story, by the time we decided it was time to downsize and move, we'd been the house 30 years and never redecorated or updated anything. Also we're not avid gardeners and the yard looked quite ragged. The property was a real "fixer-upper". We figured we'd have to spend $25K - $50K to replace broken up driveway, lay new turf, renovate kitchen and at least 1 bathroom, etc. to bring the home up to similar properties in our immediate neighborhood that had been better maintained. Also, all the inconveniences during the process, just to move out afterwards? We sold "as is" to a flipper for about $60K less that we probably could have if we had done all the upgrading. Didn't have to "show" the property to anyone or even have to clean junk out of the basement. Settled in just over 1 wk. Absolutely the best decision we ever made. The "investment" in speed of sale (to get the liquidity for a cash purchase of our new house and avoid needing a bridge loan or a mortgage we didn't want) and the convenience was well worth the money. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Really good parks, plus Wyoming has parks too.

Not much older. I'm 75 next month. But I didn't even think of buying a house when I was 22, like you did.

Reply to
micky

Bought the house in January when I was 20. My mother had to have her name on the deed until I turned 21. Got married in May but could still not legally buy a drink. Had a house, car, wife, good job. Not bad for a 20 year old.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Similar deal on cars. I get several snail-mail ads and emails a week from dealers who have worked on my car telling me how much over what I think is fair market value they'll pay me today for my car.

Problem is, there's precious-few new cars on dealer lots in my area- so I'd be reduced to riding my bicycle to go anywhere

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Less than 22!

:-) That's what mothers and fathers are for. Even at 36, I offered the mortgage guy to have my mother cosign the mortgage, but he told me I made enough money. Then he decided he wanted me to leave NY, start work here, to prove I really had a job offer, before I took out the mortgage and closed on the house. Leaving almost everything I owned back in NY, and having to move and unpack over the weekend. I didn't want to do that, but I forgot about my mother! I didn't think of her cosigning until decades later. I don't know if she could have gotten me out of that mess or not, if he would have accepted her cosigning (which really has nothing to do with whether I actually have a job or not). What I did is another story.

That's good. That way you weren't drunk when you bought the house.

True. Very good.

I did buy a house when I got to Baltimore at 36. Anywhere in the 5 boros of NYC would have been very expensive and a committment for someone who planned to spend only 3 years there and stayed for 12.

Reply to
micky

Similar result for me. Different path. I thought I'd only be here a few years until I got married, and maybe until the 1st or 2nd kid was on the way. And it was a good idea because if I bought a bigger house in the first place, I wouldn't want to move even if my wife didn't like it.

But I'm not leaving this place until I have to because I love "my" woods and "my" stream.

Me neither. And I haven't even replaced the AC Plus the carpeting is

42 years old. I also did some damage to the sheetrock and after years of avoiding touching the walls, I think I've still made them dirty. The wrought iron bannister is so dirty it bothers even me. Whole house needs painting inside and 2nd floor outside.

Mine has gotten worse than when I got it . Previous owner loved to garden. Didn't know how to maintain his berry bushes, lost all of them and all but one rose bush. Lost 2 apple trees to disease. snow damage to three evergreen trees and the eventual death of one, and finally last month had to cut down another one, the 35 foot pine.

Did plant 3 rose bushes and a cherry tree (which finally gave more than

30 cherries last summer. 220 of them) and two tulip poplars grew up by themselves, 20 and 30 feet tall now, but yard still looks bad. Different kinds and colors of grass for some reason.

Thnat's just what I was thinking it needs, $50K. .

Exactly. And if it's not a flipper that buys it, if a family does, they can paint it and replace fixtures etc. the way they want.

Which would have cost you 25 to 50????? So you only lost 10 to 35???????

10 is really nothing for the grief it saved you. Did I understand you?

Good to know. I'll cite you when friends doubt my wisdom.

The question is, will I stay healthy until I die and the executor can do all this, Or will I have to do even this, which sounds easy when you say it but I really don't want to bother.

Reply to
micky

Bought my first house at 24 or 25 .Sold it 4 years later when I got married and my wife had her house.. Sold IT less than 1 year later and bought OUR house, where we have been for 40 years.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Prompted me to look at the online inventory of the car dealer I buy from and it is sparse with not even one new model of the car I currently drive.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

A tent. You can get a really good one for less than 2000 cad. Because you live in Canada, get the winter insulation package for only 400 dollars more.

They have great parks in Canada.

The unit itself has 6 levels? Great if you're training for the Empire State Building stair competition.

I sure for less than 3000 you can get a tent.

Reply to
micky

The nearest GMC dealer has about a half dozen vehicles in his lot. The Ford dealer has maybe a dozen. He is advertising a 2021 Bronco Big Bend for just under $73,000. A cheaper version is only $53,970.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You beat me to it. Good exercise.

Reply to
micky

Basement Entry Living Room Kitchen

2 beds and bath Master

Like I said, it's like a silo. 6 level backsplit. Definitely NOT for seniors!!!!

Tent is not good when it's -20C - worse yet at -20F. Not good at 30C either - or with 60-90 Kph winds or with3-5 feet of snow - and the parks close on your Columbus Day weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm tired just reading about it.

Reply to