Home Electrical Fuse Panel

Hello, My house currently has a Wadsworth (Model 100RWLD8) 100Amp 120-240V (3-pole) fuse panel installed. What I was wondering is this; I would like ti install a subpanel without removing the Wadsworth from service, but only utilizing the main fuses inside the box to install feed subpanel, everything else would then be moved to the new subpanel. The panel was installed in 1960 when the home was built, most of the wiring inside the house uses Romex type wiring, although there are 2 lines that are the older "cloth" coated type, they still seem in very good condition. The exsisting wadsworth panel only has 8 of the screw-type fuses (no spares). There are 3 of the pull type fuses marked as main lights, though 1 sits to the left and higher inside the panel. There is one more pull type fuse marked as "pump". At one time there was a hot water heater installed, I know this from the previous owner and the disconnect and waterlines are still in place. I need to add some additional lights and a receptacle in my basement, does anyone see an issue with my proceeding with this project?

Reply to
67curt

Don't know why you'd want to do that when you could replace the entire panel with a 100 amp main breaker panel. My guess is that the three pullouts are less than 100 amp, probably 60 amp and 30 amp, so you could install a sub connected to one of those. There probably isn't a legal method of connecting to the load side of the main fuses as the NEC requires you to install equipment as the manufacturer intended

Reply to
RBM

Thanks, I was just trying to get 1 more circuit. But I may increase to

200A service so the swap-out will most likely be the method I use. Guess I was just more curious than serious.

Thanks,Curt

Reply to
67curt

One of the main lights pullouts should feed the eight plug fuses, but if either of the others aren't being used, you could connect a new circuit there, and just leave the whole set up as it is until you're ready to upgrade

Reply to
RBM

Or you could connect a samll subpanel to an unused pullout and use it for added circuits.

-- bud--

RBM wrote:

Reply to
Bud--

Yeah, the pull outs are where the problems will rear their ugly heads as the spring clips loosen up and give that novel frying noise.

Reply to
Tekkie®