Home Depot Outdoor Stair Treads Vs. Plain 2 x 10

I have outdoor deck steps that need new treads. I though I would just cut up some 2 x 10 (PT) and replace what is there. However, Home depot sells a stair tread which is ridged or uneven (hard to describe). Any benefit to using the HD treads or is 2 x 10 OK? Does the code require something other than 2 x 10?

Reply to
njoracle

Code only requires the height/width/overhang and evenness between steps (1/8" iirc).

tubaten are ok as far as material if the deck surface is such it doesn't make that last step too short (less height than rest owing to the added thickness as compared to decking thickness) that becomes a trip/stumble hazard (especially bad at the head of a flight of stairs).

Also the tread boards will have a round front edge that is conducive to both looks and less of a toe-catch point that standard tubaX doesn't have so ideally you will roundover that corner.

All in all, I think the actual tread is probably a good choice or use the 5/4 decking boards and lay two instead of one. Outside that has some advantage in it has a drainage path between the two as well as you can leave a small gap at the rear there as well. It'll probably match the deck better to minimize the above height differential. Do need the roundover just as the 2x10 of course.

All in all, it's your choice w/ those points at least some to consider. Probably find cleaner/nicer stock in either of the others than random

2x stuff, too, actually...
Reply to
dpb