Hole in my basement wall

I own a 50 year old house in Eastern Canada. My house always had a slight seepage in the basement. Not significant to cause an alarm but annyoing enough to prompt me to do something about it.

Yesterday I pryed off old "finishing" (essentially plywood nailed to framing studs) and discovered a hole in the basement wall. The hole is wide an shallow. I'd say about 1.5" wide and about 3/4" high. I'm fairly sure now that this hole is the source of my seepage. Like I said, the seepage was never significant so the presence of the hole could easily have caused it. I can't verify whether the hole goes to the outside but it is at least five inches deep as I could stick my entire finger in it. I suspect the hole goes all the way through the wall.

My question is this. What caused the hole to appear in the first place? Could it have eroded? It does not seem likely to me as the edges of the hole seem quite sharp.

Is if realistic that the hole was gnawed by a norway rat or another type of rodent? We had some rat-like poop in the basement but not near the hole.

Reply to
smyk

How big is your dick? Can you stick your dick all the way through to the other side?

Reply to
nospam

No. The feces was not tested. Pretty sure it was rat's fieces though. I've dealt with rat infestations before and can recognize their droppings. I just never heard of rats gnawing through a concrete wall.

Reply to
smyk

It sounds like a rod hole. When they pour the walls they hold the forms together with rods and pull them after it sets up. Google the procedure for fixing them. You probably have them every eight feet at 2' and 6' from the floor.If it's not a rod hole the procedure for repairing is the same.

Reply to
Al Bundy

probably not a rod hole as it's very near the basement floor. Actually it looks exactly like a mouse/rat hole except it's in the basement and I never heard of rodents being able to gnaw a hole in concrete.

Reply to
smyk

if they did I'd run for the hills!:)

Reply to
Chuck Norris

That's where the trolls hide. Bahahahaha!

Reply to
The Mongolian Death Worm

I'm thinking aliens. Have you had the rat-like poop tested?

Reply to
tm

Exactly. That's why I'm suspecting aliens.

Reply to
tm

They went through the concrete wall to get dog food. I've seen it several times.

Reply to
Michael Baugh