Holding a pole up with only one cable?

My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?
On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.
Bill

Ah, that makes sense. So in a straight line the pole is ok, but on a corner it's getting yanked too much one way.
I think in my neighbour's case, as the chimney comes through the roof, there isn't room to attach a wire anywhere else, I suppose he might have something else inside the roof counteracting it.
On 10/03/2019 14:49, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Sometimes chimneys are guyed or otherwise braced only to prevent them falling in the direction that would be most dangerous or destructive.
Bill

That's a point - there's a glass roofed conservatory below it. Falling onto roof tiles probably wouldn't damage much.
Yes back in the old days you could often see men in vans going around tightening up these cables. I assume the wire that ran between poles also had some kind of steel component to make sure it had the strength. As for chimneys etc, theat is a whole other issue. Sounds a bit like a bodge! Brian
--
----- --
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:43:45 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Dropwire No.10 has two copper pairs and 3 brassed steel strainer wires and a very tough polyethylene jacket.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:20:20 AM UTC-4, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yes, but that is drop wire. The high voltage wires between poles, don't have steel for support, just the conductor.
I think it's a DIY job. Everything else he does is, and to the cheapest/easiest specs possible.

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?
--
Robin

I can't see from this far away. Are you suggesting it can take a force in more than one direction? Even if it can, it would only be push and pull, not sideways.

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see. That would make a triangle. Those are pretty solid.

The weight of the cables puts an assymetric laod on the poles near the end of long cable runs
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:36:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Is the

Though coming from the weight the tension in a phone line is much higher to get a shallowish catenery so the line doesn't flail about too much in the wind. It's really only poles at the end of a line or where the line sharply changes direction that have assymetric forces. With poles roughly equally spaced and in a row the forces balance out.
--
Cheers
Dave.

That isnt what happens here. Where the phone line isnt underground, its on the power poles and the power lines are the problem. We don't have any catenery with our phone lines. Even the much older aerial phone lines seen in rural areas run by themselves have no catenery at all.

If there's anything else it's under the roof tiles.
On 11/03/2019 02:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:

If the support is split between above and below the roof then it implies significant stiffness in the pipe itself. Which if true suggests it does not need an external cable. I suspect it was installed for largely cosmetic reasons rather than for sound engineering principles. If it does eventually fall down the cable will probably stop it crashing to the ground and causing personal injury ;-)

It does look quite stiff, but it's a tall chimney and there could be a fair force on it from wind, which they won't want transferred to where it's attached to the stove, which could cause a leak of fumes into the house.
On 3/10/2019 9:44 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

A) It's a weird thing to go round and ask. B) Nobody likes him. C) He's my neighbour, not my neighbor.