HOA strikes again

A condo association is not the same as an HOA

Reply to
gfretwell

Oh, they definitely take away value from a property.

But, but ...

Governments LOVE them. HOAs can routinely do things that even the most fascist of governments would hesitate to take on.

Reply to
John Gilmer

From what I have seen HOAs are usually ruled by a few HOA facist. It always happenes this way because anyone can iforce the rules so a few busy bodies alwys wind up sticking their nose in everyone elses business..

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

No, what the pussy needs to do is get a shotgun and defend his property. Then sue the shit out of the HOA and have it dissolved.

Steve Barker

"Cheri" wrote

We have friends who live in a HOA, and they were not given the rules until after signing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And yet they still signed? That certainly sounds dumb to me. No way would I deal with an outfit that would not give me the rules up front. If that is the policy, they may have some legal way to avoid complying with "after the fact" rules.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Legally, pretty much the same. They can impose and enforce rules, sue the owner, and even place liens against the property.

Reply to
HeyBub

The big difference in this case is who owns the grass in front of the dwelling. In a condo the only thing the homeowner owns is the interior of their apartment. The condo association owns everything else. They have the legal right to tow from a common element. In an HOA the homeowner owns the yard and it is still private property. There are covenants on what you can do there but I doubt they have the right to tow a vehicle. It is certainly not true in any Florida HOA I know of My wife is a licensed CAM with a master assn, an HOA and 5 condo assns in the community she manages. She was really surprised at this story.

I know the HOA in my neighborhood looked into towing vehicles from our boat ramp parking lot and our lawyer said it was a mine field.

If I was the guy in this story I would send the HOA a bill for everything I had to pay to get my car back, minus the listed fine for the parking violation.

Reply to
gfretwell

IMO, they both speak out each side of their mouths. I just don't know how they do it with one eye shut.

A "bored" member across the street gave up on me years. Never had to hold his feet to the fire.

Reply to
Oren

We got an intimidating book of regs. when we first moved into our retirement village.

But, like any place, there's always that 10%. who doesn't maintain their yard, who lets the dog bark at all hours who leaves trash in the yard who doesn't pick up after their dog. who want to sub-let to a bunckh of teen-age partiers

You come to realize, the book was written for people with no common sense, or no consideration for their neighbors.

They do get evicted ! But sometimes it takes too long.

Reply to
Anonymous