HOA: No sod? That's a jailin'!

"Then his daughter drove him to jail. Grandpa had time to do. His crime? He had disobeyed a court order that he sod the lawn..."

HeyBub

Just curious. Why is it that you are so fascinated with HOA's? Clearly they aren't for everyone. But nobody is forced to buy a home with a HOA. There are plenty of other homes available. And some like the idea of a HOA for the very reason that they want a particular and uniform look. And in the case of a community where you buy a home with a HOA, if you won't comply with the basic rules, like in this case, you can sell and move. The HOA doesn't appear to be unreasonable here.

Reply to
trader4

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:56:11a, told us...

Personally I would prefer living in a community with an HOA, although I don't presently. Having said that, you really have to evaluate the rules and regulations set forth in the covenant and also how well they're enforced. Some are rediculous and some are quite reasonable.

At least most HOAs prevent situations where an individual home owner decides to fill his front yard with old cars. :-)

If I had the means, I would actually prefer to live in an area where I could have several acres that separated me from other neighbors and the freedom to do what I want to do.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I'm not fascinated with HOAs. Remember, I live in the largest city in the nation with no zoning, so those who refuse to take responsibility often rely on HOAs to do what they lack the courage to do for themselves.

Personally, I find it amusing that people don't take a more active role in their community but instead foist off distasteful projects to the legal system.

In the instant case, it would seem a simple matter for several neighbors to devote a Saturday afternoon to: a) repairing the elderly gentleman's sprinkler system, or b) beat him until he couldn't lie down.

Depending on the breaks.

Reply to
HeyBub

The "uniform look" will be sheriff notices on foreclosed houses and then who will mow the lawn?

Here in Florida that is not an unusual sight with some newer HOA communities more than 50% in default ... but the developer held HOA is bankrupt too so they aren't bothering people.

Reply to
gfretwell

wow...that's hardcore!

olddog

Reply to
retired53

Well, courts have the ability to enforce their orders (the most common being failure to provide child support). It's an example of how one can be jailed without committing a crime. Others include: Juveniles, mental health candidates, communicable disease carriers, immigration violators, material witnesses, and unlawful enemy combatants.

Point is, not everybody behind bars is a criminal or suspected criminal. Heck, if you ASK those behind bars, you'll find very few who are actually criminals.

Reply to
HeyBub

I lived in an HOAorida for 16 years. For most of them I was on the board. Our ground rule first and foremost was : We are all neighbors.

If there was a problem like the one described, a couple of guys would get together one week end and fix the sprinkler system.

A second issue is the judge. Judge Bray apparently likes his name so much he even acts like an ass. In Florida juges are elected. Now there is a campaign issue if I ever heard of one.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

How much per square foot does installed sod cost in that part of FL? If the fellow's ARM just spiked, I can see why he can't afford it. Can't get blood from a stone- does the association and the judge think keeping him in jail is going to make getting the lawn done more or less likely? (I know a good place they could harvest sod- from the front yards of all the people that voted to file the suit.) It is fricking FLORIDA, fer crissake. Lawns get brown in summer- deal with it.

Having associations be de facto mini-governments, and having judges enforce their petty edicts via open-ended contempt citations, is a perversion of the process. The entire concept should be outlawed. I will NEVER live in an HOA area- I'd rather live in an apartment than put up with that crap.

Anybody started a legal defense fund for the guy, yet? I'd donate a few bucks to that. He ought to contersue under RICO acts.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I donno. They can be helpful in keeping property values up. The NA we had usually only had to put notes on peoples doors but sometimes more coaxing was necessary.

I'm glad we had that NA. My neighbors knew to keep their yards mowed and clean. Looked good when I sold the house after 18 mths of living there. Made a nice profit.

olddog

Reply to
olddog

There is also a drought going on ......

Reply to
Norminn

aemeijers wrote in news:zAbIk.67385$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Saw a bit on the news yesterday where in California the lawns are brown and are up for sale. There's a guy who charges $300 to come in and spray the lawn, dirt and all, with some harmless green stuff and makes it look good. Uses a truck just like the Agent Orange guy at Lawn-Glo. Of course, up close, you can tell it's sprayed but much better than burnt brown. Guy's business is booming he says.

Reply to
Red Green

clipped

I have had contact from a reliable source to the effect the homeowner is out of jail, and that volunteers repaired his irrigation system and installed sod. Three cheers for the good guys!

Reply to
Norminn

Since most locals have property taxes, what is the benefit of high property values? When my place is converted to cash, I'll be dead.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Okay...let your house go to hell.

For us that plan to move and cash in on equity that's not a good stratgy. I don't know about you but I like making money.

olddog

Reply to
retired53

Actually, unless you like 50 year old homes (and fortunately, I do) not so much.

nate

Reply to
N8N

ty values? =A0When

There is a popular misconception that if all the properties in a community were to be valued at twice as much, then the taxes would be

2X. In most cases, this is simply not true. Around here (NJ) people go nuts when there is an upcoming property revaluation, because they think when there property is revalued higher, they are going to pay a lot more in tax. What determines local property taxes is the amount of money that the community needs to operate. So, if community X needs $20mil to run, they are going to get $20mil regardless of what the total valuations are. If all the properties get revalued to 2X what they were to bring them in line with current market value, the tax rate then gets cut in half, resulting in the same amount of revenue to the municipality.
Reply to
trader4

Which is just the reverse of the way it should be. The size of government should be based on what people can afford, not the taxes based on what the government needs.

Reply to
HeyBub
2X. In most cases, this is simply not true.

If all the properties get revalued to 2X what they were to bring them in line with current market value, the tax rate then gets cut in half, resulting in the same amount of revenue to the municipality.

You are correct, of course, but there is a simple flaw in the logic. The misconception is so popular and misunderstood that people expect a tax increase so our community leaders make that come through and raise the budget.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski