Hiring Day Laborers

And in Texas, we have an excellent generous homestead exemptions that protects your home from lawsuits by the accident prone day laborer.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

Somewhat true but so what? The homestead laws prevent forclosure on your homestead except for purchase money mortgages, a valid mechanics and materialman's lien and failure to pay taxes.

Never the less, if sued by a day laborer and your homeowners doesn't cover it, you can still lose most everything BUT your home and have your wages garnished so that you lose your house anyway.

BTW: The homestead "exemption" is a tax break on property taxes for your homestead. It has nothing to do with the homestead protection provided by the homestead laws.

Reply to
Bruce

Wrong Again!!

Texas doesn't allow wage garnishment.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

Wrong Again, Bruce!

Do a google search on "Texas Homestead Exemption" and you will find that it has 'everything' to do with homestead protection.

You should spend a little more time reading instead of writing.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

I remember a story I heard some time ago, where some low budget roofing company was working on some guys house and asked to borrow an additional ladder from the homeowner. Of course the migrant alien fell off the homeowners ladder, which the homeowner ended up being responsible for... blah...blah...blah.... homeowner sued...

Xmfard

Reply to
Xmfard
+AD4- At the risk of apearing to bait this argument, what happens when I hire a +AD4- neighbor boy to mow my lawn? Am I at as much potential risk if he should +AD4- hurt himself while working for me on my property?

Without knowing what state you live in, no one in this group will be able to answer your questions. Best thing is to talk to your insurance agent. He will be able to tell you immediately.

In Montana, if someone works on your property without worker's comp,

+AF8-you+AF8- provide it. I.e., if he becomes disabled, you have to pay his salary for the rest of his life. (I know of a case.) Most state laws are not that draconian.

For a big job or an important job, you're going to want a bonded pro who has workman's comp. Ask to see his insurance papers. If he just got 'em, call his agent and ask to be notified if he cancels.

For the help around the farm type of stuff, when you want to hire some day laborers (whom you know and aren't worried about them coming in to ransack your castle -- not that big a problem in a right-to-carry state like Montana, where mostly everyone knows everyone anyway) ask your agent. He can:

(1) Give you insurance just for that one job, or

(2) Give you regular insurance against that type of lawsuit, which your normal homeowner's policy doesn't carry.

It isn't expensive, and it's well worth the peace of mind.

--Ralph Sumner Chiba City, Japan

Reply to
Ralph Sumner

Why do you think a neighbor or their child would not sue if injured? A dumb assumption at best and a potential dangerous path to tread!

In fact I would be more nervous about being sued by a neighbor than I would dealing with a stranger - BTW our home owner's insurance DOES cover injuries to workers - at one time we had a rider for WC to cover baby sitters, but one year our agent told us it was no longer needed and they would be covered along with anyone else we employed to work in or around the house!

Reply to
avoidspam

Why would you think that you would be any less at risk for being sued for injuries that they suffered while working for you whether the worker was a neighbor, their child or a stranger? Is there an exemption that applies to children or neighbors?

Reply to
avoidspam

But he is thinking that the settlement from the suit could get him that car he wants and the things that go with it or hie parents could be thinking of the vacation they could have in the country the other guy came from!

Reply to
avoidspam

Use some common sense yourself - go check that story out and come back and apologize to us for being taken in by that distorted tale!

Reply to
avoidspam

Crikey, a person could analyze and invent "what ifs" until Rapture arrives, and in the meantime, the lawn has turned into the damn rainforest. And there are plenty of silly things to, uh, worry about. Sure, a person *might* sue if a jet engine or a meteorite chose that particular moment to fall out of the sky, or some drunk driver jumped the curb, or mower boy caught the notice of some sniper in a clock tower a half-mile away. Otherwise, it's not really all that hard to prevent yourself from being sued for negligence, which is pretty much what people sue you for when mishaps occur:

  1. Make sure your lawn is completely free of loose stuff that could get sucked into a lawn mower and get turned into a missile, i.e. rocks, chunks of tree bark, sticks, etc.

  1. If you have a dog, keep it inside. Dogs tend to bite strangers.

  2. If you've got a meth lab in the basement, wait until mower boy leaves to resume operations and possibly blow your house up.

That pretty much covers it. If the kid mows his own foot off while doing your lawn, it's his own damn fault for being an imbecile, not yours.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott