Higher voltage grids can't "feed in" from domestic networks

Don't be stupid. Imagine a town being fed by one of those beasts. Only one of two things can be happening, either the town is generating more than it needs, or it's using more than it's generating.

Your idiocy is like saying what happens if it's colder outside my house at the same time as it's warmer outside my house?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm surprised there's such a thing as a 415kV inverter. Transistors can cope with that?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

At least one of you can't read plain English.

"Cheese is yellow", "no, bread is brown".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would it be going both ways? Surely, if local demand is less than local supply, the excess will be exported and nothing will be imported. If local demand is higher than local supply, then the excess demand will be imported. In the former case, low demand will allow the voltage to rise, driving power to the grid and in the latter, the voltage will fall pulling power from the grid. At no time will power need to go both ways at the same time.

Reply to
SteveW

It depends. Semiconducrors are needed to convert the utterly variable turbine output to a stable 50Hz phase locked source. Or to an HVDC undersea voltage. The final link to the local grid - which may be 33kv,

125kv or 400Kv may well be done by transfiomer, which is why said 'I cant answer for the windfarm *as a whole*.

Its a matter of cost really. Obviously an undersea DC cable at many kilovolts will use semiconductors to turn it to AC, so it can be done, but its probably cheaper to use inverters up to around 5-10KV and stuff a transformer on the back of that.

One thing is for sure. No modern wind turbine generates synchronous electricity without a semiconductor inverter. Its too inefficient.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well the idea of power is in any case a bit secondary. The transformer is like a synchronous generator. If you don't feed power to the shaft the grid drives the generator, as you increase torque on the shaft it starts to feed power into the grid.

Same with the transformer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There could be a problem with voltage losses in the magnetic flux. For example, my transformer, 240V --> 12V. But 12V --> 220V. You lose 5% either way round. So with the HV ones, if it's supposed to go from 415kV to 11kV, then when in reverse, to get 415kV, you'd need 13kV.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Aren't invertors already using a transformer? A UPS for example, doesn't it pulse say 36V into a transformer to get 240V out?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey