HF knock-off

Got news for ya....Fein was the company that invented the tool back in the early 80's to remove windshields from the '82 (and up) Audi 5000.

After that, Ford started installing windshields in their Taurus' ('86) in a similar fashion.

There was NO way to remove those windshields at the time except with a hammer and a chisel. So the tool made it's way to the US.

I owned one back in the early 80's when it was simply called a "Fein Knife" (Still is today by autoglass installers).

Only in the past few yrs did Fein start adding additional blades to it and start calling it the "Multimaster" which was then made available to the public.

So EVERY other company, ripped off Fein.

Reply to
Ron

Not a rip-off, per se. The Fein patent expired.

And the Fein design is not too different in function from oscillating orthopedic bone saws.

Reply to
HeyBub

I just think it's funny that people think this is a new tool, when in fact, like I said, it has been around since the early 80's. Granted not as a multifunction tool, but still........

I've also owned several different pneumatic versions since the early

80's. Have 2 of them right now along with my Fein Knife.

I was watching a home improvement show the other night, and they were using another windshield remove tool (that has been around since the late 80's) to cut something. So look for one of these to be the next "new" tool.

Pneumatic and electric versions of "The Equalizer". A sheath with a cutting blade inside.

The very first version was made from a plain ole jigsaw. Needless, to say, the guy that made a windshield removal tool out of it in now a multimillionaire with a huge company which makes several different autoglass tools.

Not bad for an ex-autoglass installer!

Reply to
Ron

....or the saws used to remove plaster/etc casts. I freaked out the first time a had a cast removed and saw the medico coming at me with what looked like a high speed rotary saw with no apparent guard or depth stop on it. Yikes! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9D7AD7FF78B2RedGreen@69.16.185.252:

FYI, Put down a bunch of 3/4 oak with this nailer. Worked like a charm with no jams. Only used with L-cleats.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's the nice thing about moving *out* of VT. ;-) Though there aren't any HFs locally, there are five withing 100mi (one 50mi). There are also two WoodCrafts, a Rockler, and a PeachtreeWoodworking within the 100mi. VT sucked all around.

HF has a web site. ;-) I bought a Dremel MF tool, mainly because Lowes didn't have the Bosch in stock when I needed it.

That's good to know. I may do some flooring next year and was thinking about the HF nailer.

I probably have your Bostich siding nailer. ;-)

Reply to
keith