Bargain on Rockwell SoniCrafter

Today only.

For those who can't abide the HF Multifunction Miracle Tool, here's a

100-piece variable-speed tool for only $131.99.
'Course the HF tool is only $17.98...
Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, now you're just being HeyBub.

Show me where you get the HF variable speed unit for $17.98.

Tell me how many blades you get the HF variable speed unit.

Apples to Oranges.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Exactly, no useful information is ever imparted.

Reply to
George

I profusely apoligize. The flyer I have on my desk says $17.99, not $17.98.

I've uploaded a scan of the flyer to:

If you checked the prices and then beat me up for an error of one cent, I'm not sure how to describe your pathology..

On the other hand, if you did not check whether my stated price was accurate, and took your sure and certain knowledge to beat me up, well ...

To answer your question, I believe you get two blades with the Harbor Freight model. I could, I admit, be off by one as I was on the price.

Anyway, I'm sorry for causing you to rise up in righteous indignation only to have your ridicule shorted.

Reply to
HeyBub

Let's start with the scan of the flyer. I have tried to view it on 3 different devices - a PC, an iPad and a smart phone. In all three cases the image is way too small to be readable. When I try to enlarge it, it's too blurry to read.

However, it appears that the $17.99 multi-tool shown in the upper right corner, is a burnt red color, which is their *single* speed unit. The variable speed units are either black (corded) or silver (air).

Oh...wait...look, I happen to have a copy of the September flyer right here. Yep, $17.99 for the Oscillating Multifunction Tool - which is their *single* speed unit. Accessories sold separately.

The Amazon link you provided was for a Rockwell *variable* speed unit.

The Harbor Freight variable speed unit is $44.99 in the same flyer.

So, I guess I will simply, with no indignation, request once again...

Show me where you get the HF variable speed unit for $17.99.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Tempting, but after reading the 1-star reviews, I'm still going to wait until I really need one of these, and buy the Fein. It appears that the Rockwell is probably about as good as the HF.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I can't. I completely missed the "variable speed" qualifier. My apologies.

The result, however, is that the HF model is about 1/3rd the price of the Rockwell (accessories not included).

Reply to
HeyBub

>> &tag=wwwviolentkicom

Mine works great too. Has made doing partial repairs of door jambs broken by tenants much easier then trying to cut the breaks out with saber saw.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've never used a variable speed model - and I assume you haven't either - but here are my thoughts/assumptions.

1 - Now, this is probably the least important reason for considering the variable speed unit, but I'll toss it out there just to get it out of the way:

AFAICT, every company offering a multi-function tool, ranging from the lowest end (HF) to the original (Fein) offers a variable speed unit. Wen, Klutch, Dremel, Rockwell, Bosch, etc. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most these companies don't even offer a single speed unit. Sure, it could all be marketing and "keeping up with the Jones's" but it seems to me that if every single company offers a variable speed unit, there must be a market/need for them.

2 - I have a couple of palm sanders. Using them in corners is a pain because they bounce around too much. The variable speed multitools might solve that issue by running at a slower speed for more precise control in tight spaces. 3 - Plastic: I copied this without permission from
*** Begin Stolen Text ****

A: If you have a variable speed tool, select the 1 on the MultiPro and

5 in the Professional. These positions correspond to the lower speeds. If the work in acrylic plastic and is its main application, we would recommend working with additional control and Professional tool to consider a single-speed tool with a separate dremel variable speed multi-pro control, as the dremel variable speed multi-pro control pedal (No. 221 dremel variable speed multi-pro. ) A single-speed tool with independent speed control allows the tool to operate at speeds even slower than the lower speeds the variable speed tool.

*****End Stolen Text *****

I once used my single speed unit to cut the dividers out of a DeWalt drill case so I could use it for a brad nailer I bought. While the cuts were easy, the tool did melt the plastic requiring some cleanup afterwards. I think that if I could have slowed the unit down somewhat I could have cut the plastic with less melting.

I have also seen indications that different speeds might be desirable for soft vs hard woods.

4 - Just as we often use our drills, sabre saws, reciprocating saws, etc. at different speeds based a specific situation, I have often been in situations where I have said to myself, "I wish I could slow this thing down just a little. I think I'd have more control." Sometimes it was just a desire to start slow and then ramp up the speed and sometimes it was situation where I wanted to use a lighter touch at a slower speed for more precision. My assumption is that the "jerking" you are concerned about could be compensated for by using less force.

Again, having never used a variable speed model, I can't say for sure that the above reasons are valid. I guess I should just buy one and see. For $45 all of my questions would be answered.

Anybody want to buy my single speed unit? $25 and I'll throw HF toolbox that I carry it in. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03