HF Digital Scale - My Promise To You

I am posting this in public so that I won't break a promise that I made to myself.

I have reviewed the manual for the HF Digital Scale that I just bought.

I hereby promise to heed the following warning:

"Do not operate the product if under the influence of alcohol or drugs."

I further promise to read the warning labels on prescriptions to determine if they will impair my judgment or reflexes. If there is any doubt, I will not operate the product.

I promise.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's good. That two-inch drop might kill you.

I rarely have to take a drug, but I got a prescription last month. I looked it up to read about it and see what it looked like, to make sure they gave me the right one. I coudn't find any pictures, maybe because it was generic and they don't bother? Days later I finally looked at the plastic bottle, and there was an outline with colors noted.

Reply to
mm

"DerbyDad03" wrote

You'd better. Come home drunk and decide to bake a cake and you measure the ingredients in grams instead of ounces and you'll have a problem. Baking drunk is a growing problem in this country. Just say NO!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:Ub2dnRmOd54-rDzQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The reverse would be worse. If the recipe is in grams, and you measure ounces, you end up with a cake about 28 times bigger than you would have wanted.

Reply to
Han

Z snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's why freezers were invented.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought one of those last year to weigh out thinset/water and grout/water for my tile project. It worked perfectly for my purpose.

My only beef is that to save energy the unit shuts itself down too quickly (even when you use the adapter!!!), so if you are doing a multiple weighing, you can't dawdle between coffee cans. This is easily worked around, however, by keeping a consistent first weight so that if it does shut down you know how much you had in the first weighing.

Otherwise it was very precise and stood up well to throwing coffee cans full of stuff on it outside, and then throwing it into a bucket when I was done for the day.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Sure looks like what I guess drug dealers would use to portion out drugs. But no warning against using it for that purpse. What are you going t do with the scales? IIMA (if I may ask)

Reply to
hrhofmann

We buy meats and poultry in the "club packs" 'cuz they're cheaper than the smaller packages. 10 lb pork loins when they're on sale, etc.

Once we get them home, I divide them up into smaller packages for freezing, usually 1.5 to 2 lbs, which I then mark with the weight and date.

If a recipe calls for 2 lbs of ground meat, I just grab the correct size package.

I also mail small packages using the USPS Click-To-Ship service by printing shipping labels at home. This scale is perfect for what I need.

There are often other times that a bench-top scale comes in handy.

I have an old "analog" dial scale but it's accuracy is not consistent and it's inconvenient to use.

I used my latest 20% coupon on the digital model and picked up (another) free flashlight while I was there.

P.S. If I were dealing, I'd also have bought this one, which is probably more accurate at smaller weights:

DerbyDad03

Not if the "too much" takes the user out...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't think my digital had that warning-- or maybe I was drunk and didn't see it? But I've gotta say-- If you bought this for cooking, you're in for a treat. I'm slowly converting my recipes to grams and using cups and spoons less and less. [weighing a cup of honey or a cup of crisco right into the mix is a real treat-- weighing

5grams of salt is just easier than reaching for the right spoon.]

We're going to hold you to that--

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

re: "I don't think my digital had that warning"

Not only did they list the warnings on the inside under the heading of:

! IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS !

They also stated on the cover:

"Read this material before using this product. Failure to do so can result in serious injury."

Now, even if this next comment will sabotage my own thread, I will point this out:

While I will most likely be using the scale with batteries, it does come with a wall-wart. It is certainly possible that a impaired person could be seriously injured when plugging the wall-wart into the receptacle.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are some really good drug ID things on web sites. Never saw one they didn't identify.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

We bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight a while back. So I'm getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions". (WTF? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to equipment. Read all instructions before using this product!

  1. Avoid working alone. If an accident happens, an assistant can bring help. [...]
  2. Keep children away. Children must never be allowed in the cooking area. Do not let them handle Hamburger Press.
  3. Store idle equipment. When not in use, Hamburger Press must be stored in a dry location to inhibit rust. Always lock up Hamburger Press and keep out of reach of children. [...]
  4. Maintain Press with care. Inspect Hamburger Press periodically and, if damaged, have it repaired by an authorized technician.
  5. Use the right Press for the job. Do not attempt to force a small Hamburger Press or attachment to do the work of a larger industrial Hamburger Press. There are certain applications for which this Hamburger Press was designed. Do not modify this Hamburger Press and do not use the Hamburger Press for a purpose for which it was not intended.
  6. Stay alert. Watch what you are doing, use common sense. Do not operate Hamburger Press when you are tired. [...]
  7. Do not operate Hamburger Press if under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Read warning labels on prescriptions to determine if your judgment or reflexes are impaired while taking drugs. If there is any doubt, do not operate Hamburger Press.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, maybe you can now. Try to find a picture of Tamsulosin hcl .4 mg in a capsule colored light olive green on one end, and orange on the other. And hopefully, with W 516 written on it. Or even a description like I just gave.

I just tried google images and by the time I got to "page 26", really part of the first page, it was displaying Vardenafil and Prosolveln. So I removed hcl .4 m w which I figured was giving false positives, and somehow the number of results went from 9760 to 72,600!

So I switched to tamsulosin 516 and got 6880 results. Only about 5 of them were pictures of pills on the first webpage (Up to so-called "Page 32")

So I went back to the 72,600 results for Tamsulosin . And indeed the very second one has colors something like mine, for a capsule with the same ingredient as ine, but it also has other writing on it, and not W 516. I'm a lot happier with what is printed on the bottle label, that includes the W 516, though now I see that my refill, from another branch of the same supermarket, doesn't have the separate label with the description. Instead it has a small label saying what the main label said, take 1/2 hour after eating; another that says Swallow whole; and third and fourth small ones that says Careful with machinery, and May cause drowsiness.

Even though I don't think you can find a drug identification website that has this capsule in this color, google images would have given me encouragement that I had the right drug.

I followed the two images and got:

Hmmm, one thing even more intersting is that

calls itself cheapx, but wants 36.86 for 30 of them, when the supermarket charged 17.85 or maybe 18.85!!!

Yet this place says it charges only $1.06 more for another 30, but then 89.44 for 90, a lot closer to the price for 30!

They also call it Flomax at the top and then "Generic Flomax" at the ordering lines. I'm not sure this is really honest. Flomax is a tradename for tamsulosin. Is it honest to say that tamsulosin is generic Flomax? Is it honest to put just Flomax at the top of the page?

isn't so confusing and it's a lot more money than the local supermarket too. With none of the volume confusion that the site just above has.

One shouldnt' assume that mail order drugs are cheaper. It's about

200 dollars a year at the supermarket, so I hadn't shopped for something cheaper. My nephew is now taking something that is 1200 dollars a month and my brother's insurance pays 300.

I also thought the drug had a long term effect on my prostate, but I see that it "works by relaxing the muscles in the bladder neck and prostate". I would think it would have done that within a month, so that means it's not working at all. I'll ask the doctor.

Reply to
mm

so that I won't break a promise that I

re: 7. Maintain Press with care. Inspect Hamburger Press periodically and, if damaged, have it repaired by an authorized technician.

For those who are interested in becoming an authorized technician, certified to repair a Harbor Freight Hamburger Press, there are resources available:

Certified Technician Training We offer manufacturer-authorized training in a variety of different products using three distinct methods:

  • Self-paced Home Study Courses * Classes taught by Professional Staff Trainers * Classes taught by Authorized and Certified Trainers in various geographic locations in the US and Canada

Learning Management System

Our system employs the use of an online Learning Management System (LMS) to administer, assess, and track all training courses and certifications. All students must be able to access the Internet via a broadband connection and a Windows-based PC. A minimal computer able to perform training functions would meet the following criteria:

  • 500 MHz processor. * Internet Explorer 5.0. (Users who use AOL=99 to access the web must open a separate IE window.) * 800 x 600 screen running at true color resolution. * Sound card & multimedia speakers (or headphones) with adjustable volume . * Firewall and browser adjusted to allow all training content * Attached printer (if printing certificates).
Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Sign me up! With the economy the way it is, more people are eating burgers instead of steak.

Being a Certified Hamburger Press Tech is going to be a solid career with many opportunities. I'm thinking I can buy a walk in van and set up all the equipment and spare parts needed so I can offer on site repair of the burger press. I'll have a route where once a month I'll drive down your street and stop at houses needing work done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, mm spewed forth:

No image, but from your description

Also available for 53 bucks for 90 through a private site that I'm a member of. i beleive he will take referals, if interested

Reply to
ChairMan

It does say W 516, which is half of it.

Thanks a lot. Of course, the doctor told me to tell him what effect it had, but I haven't been back in the first month.

I've been a very lucky guy in that just about every drug I've ever taken has had the intended effect (except 2 prescribed for a condition I never had) and none have side effects (except two which had the most common of their side effects.) But this one isn't working. Maybe the doctor will convince me it to might, and maybe it will. So I'll save your post.... Wait, your price 90 for $53 is not much different from

30 for 18 or 19 dollars, that the supermarket charged. Thanks anyhow.

I have never had an illegal drug, and resist taking even aspirin or Contac.

Reply to
mm

Hah! My new career as a Harbor Freight Certified Hamburger Press Repair Technician awaits! I'm gonna be rich!!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Andy comments: Looks to me like you got the suppository version instead of the oral version....... usually you can tell by the shape....

I hope you read the directions on the bottle....

:>)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy