Hey PETA, Screw Wildlife

Thomas Mathus put the number considerably lower, Lower, in fact, than we reached before 1950. He used mwhat passed for unassailable statistics at the time. Obviously he was wrong.

Reply to
celticsoc

I never made any such statement so your comment is irrelevant.

Some wild animal populations do migrate - eg Caribou, Wildebeest and many bird species.

Most wild animal populations live within a defined range and roam within that range.

In terms of your comments about them making a 'decision' about where they live, then non-migratory animals certainly do no such thing in the same way that humans can and do. Wild animals follow food, shelter and in some cases, seasonal conditions.

They cannot sell and relocate for the sake of convenience and nor do they move to Florida for the winter in the same way that humans can.

Read what I wrote and respond to that rather than invent something I didn't write.

If you had understood what I wrote about 'history" and the fact that it (meaning wildlife around your tiddling place and even the whole of the US and the world) will not always be there, you would not make this statement.

The earth is not made up of infinite resources and that applies to wildlife as it does to every other single commodity.

I repeat, read what I wrote. I did not comment about "current" risk. I wrote about future risk. And regardless of how much wildlife you or the whole of the US currently has, it will not stay that way.

Since Ann and I live on different continents and I made no statement whatsoever about the wildlife in my area, you can make no meaningful statement about whether I have local effects or not.

Reply to
FarmI

?????What country do you think they come from?

You did, but then you'd be wr>>How many US millions is it that don't have medical/drug care?

This just gets funnier all the time.

Reply to
FarmI

matter. But it isn't dying. It is shifting, perhaps, as it always has. ______________________________________- Of course it is dying! But then it is also shifting.

What you probably mean is that it is not dying in our lifetime.

rhetoric (like declining polar bear population, which applied to a single population of polar bears, while worldwide numbers showed a slight increase) serves only to increase cynicism. ___________________________________________ Indeed. But I get similarly cynical when I see a referral to 'worldwide' number of polar bears when they don't live worldwide. They only live in the Arctic.

Reply to
FarmI

And, the claim that only one population is decreasing is apparently based on old information. According to 15th PBSG meeting (this month):

"Reviewing the latest information available the PBSG concluded that 1 of

19 subpopulations is currently increasing, 3 are stable and 8 are declining. For the remaining 7 subpopulations available data were insufficient to provide an assessment of current trend."

Ann

Here's the fix. Put these animals in zoos. Once a sufficient number of zoos have breeding populations, we can take the animals habitat off the endangered-whatever list. From then on, the animal is invulnerable to:

  • Global warming,
  • Global cooling,
  • Pollution,
  • Discarded plastic bags,
  • Shopping malls and loss of habitat,
  • Humans poking them with sticks,
  • Predation from other animals,
  • Anything.

This plan solves the " 'X' will become extinct by Friday!" business. Those who insist that all creatures get three hots, a cot, suitable entertainment, freedom of travel, and the right to bear arms, however, will probably not be satisfied.

We can put THEM in zoos...

Reply to
HeyBub

Whatever happened to the vicious squirrels that were after your nuts?

Too bad Alfred Hitchcock is dead. I'm sure he would have loved to do a movie about your travails.

Reply to
Billy

I'll bet the fertilizes flowers with fish meal :o) Never heard of raccoons digging in flower beds.

Reply to
norminn

You call yorurmomma a squirrel?

Reply to
Way Back Jack

But not budget restraints. Boston talking about closing zoo and offing the animals.

Kurt Ullman

Yep, I saw that. Too bad the economy's in such bad shape - some enterprising entrepreneur could take a flyer and offer "Giraffe Burgers" or similar.

Reply to
HeyBub