I prefer live traps such as the Victor tin cat as live mice are
actually much cuter to deal with than dead ones.
I have found that cats are not that effective as mice are very well
adapted at finding ways to stay hidden out of their reach.
I prefer the expanding type foam as a sealant. Wear your grubbies when
you use it as it's impossible to get out of clothing if it touches you.
Be sure to check the water pipe entries under every sink. There is
often gap there which allows mice to enter from under the house.
??? My 8 year old female cat kills at least one a night at this time of
the year; sometimes two or three! The 18 year old male gets about one a
week (he's afraid he might break a hip jumping off the couch too
fast!), and the pantry trap averages 5-6 a week. I'll put my money on
the well-fed mouser. She gets bored at night and likes to hunt. We
leave the trap set in the pantry all year, but it only goes off in
October. We always know there will soon be mice in the pantry (cats
can't get in there) when Sophie starts catching mice at night. Takes
about 3 days after Sophie's first mouse for the pantry trap to start
catching them. We've tried to block off all entry routes, but when your
foundation is 200-year-old stacked stone, there's always a few half
inch spaces you can't find.
My sentiments exactly! I live in a 100+-year-old home with a stacked
stone foundation and keep two well-fed feline mousers and one dynamite
Corgi mouser (also well fed, although she would tell you otherwise).
Haven't had to set a trap since I've lived here. The mice might have
adapted, but as long as they've adapted in ways that keep them out of
my living space, I'm okay with it!
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:59:37 GMT, firstname.lastname@example.org (Doug Miller)
:) Yes, and they keep coming back so you can enjoy the same cute mice over and
:) over and over.
:) Does that make sense to you?
chances are though they have died out, under stress of the capture and
being relocated and to now have to find food in territories of other
mice, they probably have been torn apart and eaten by other cute
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back!
Sometimes it's tough to trap them all, and the poison can be very
effective. I have used poison with great success. Yeah, a few of the
critters will remain inside, but you'll get them all quickly. You can
trap as well, of course - any mouse the traps miss the poison will
almost certainly get. I had problems with mice in an attic, and it was
impossible to access the area they were living (I could hear them at
night, but there was no way to climb into the very small access space.
You could see it, but not get to it.)
I tossed poison in there, and after two nights of vigorous activity
(you could hear the poison blocks getting dragged around), the mice
Incidentally, the poison I was using doesn't have any "secondary
poisoning" issues - that is to say, if a dog or cat eats a mouse that's
eaten the poison, there aren't any ill effects.
If you're using the poison in an accessible location, you can purchase
bait-boxes that animals and kids can't get in to. Not that the poison
holds any attraction for animals in any case. My dog, who will eat
just about anything, shows no interest at all in the blocks.
:) >Incidentally, the poison I was using doesn't have any "secondary
:) >poisoning" issues - that is to say, if a dog or cat eats a mouse that's
:) >eaten the poison, there aren't any ill effects.
:) Please tell me what poison you use that is not harmful to pets?
He didn't say a poison not harmful to pets..he said no secondary
poisoning, meaning the toxin won't be carried to a animal that eats a
dead or dying rodent that has fed on the bait..
The two I can think of are baits containing Bromethalin, such as Fastrac
and Cholecalciferol (Quintox)...but the downfall are they are more
initially toxic to non target animals so placing them in a bait station
or other out of the way areas of non target animals is a must.
There's a ton of info at http://www.unexco.com . I found this site a LONG
time ago and used to figure out what bugs I was seeing (turned out to be
boxelder bugs), how to get rid of carpenter ants, etc. By coincidence (or
good fortune), it turned out that the company that runs the site is right
near me so I ended up using them to get rid of termites at my house. Other
than that, I have no connection with them.
:) There's a ton of info at http://www.unexco.com . I found this site a LONG
:) time ago and used to figure out what bugs I was seeing (turned out to be
:) boxelder bugs), how to get rid of carpenter ants, etc. By coincidence (or
:) good fortune), it turned out that the company that runs the site is right
:) near me so I ended up using them to get rid of termites at my house. Other
:) than that, I have no connection with them.
John is a class act for sure.
Well that is a good reason for having mice. It get cold and they want
to get warm.
Traps, poison and cats are the choices. You will also want to try and
find out where they are getting in. You may have luck blocking that.
Remember they chew really well so a little wood will not do it. Heavy small
hole hardware cloth works well for me.
A couple of years ago, I attended an NRA convention where R. Lee Ermey
("Mail Call," "Full Metal Jacket") was giving autographs at the Glock
Firearms booth. I said to him: "Lee, a Michigan legislator is promoting a
bill to provide an open hunting season for feral cats. I'm putting together
a 'celebrity cat-call' tape for cat hunters. Would you be interested in
saying "Here, kitty-kitty-kitty" for the project?
He looked up at me and said: "That is the most fucked-up idea I've EVER
Oh well. Some people just have no vision.
why not try those plug in things (i think from black and decker)? i
bought a couple and haven't seen a mouse since. the package says they
emit a sound frequency that keeps them away. got mine at home depot.
I bought some of these last year, and they work great.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
You can snap it on your finger and it doesn't even hurt. The mouse
suffocates instead of having its guts and eyes pop out.
I heard a snap the first time I used it, and ran out to see. It took
the mouse about 10 seconds to stop breathing.
There is a mouse trapped in my utility closet as we speak. I have it
barricaded in there with one of the traps. Hopefully it takes the
bait...I gave our cat away 2 weeks ago.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.