HELP: Ice droplets forming all over bottom freezer!

Hello all, My bottom freezer of Maytag 2556 HES(stainless steel doors) model has now ice forming in the freezer. It is all over the sides, back, front and on the rack plus in the icemaker. Is there something wrong? Should i lower the temperature. It looks like maybe water is leaking from somewhere, but not sure what is causing this? The bottom freezer door looks tightly closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
icanluv2

You probably overstuffed your freezer and something was poking out of the rack and in the way of the door. Somewhere in the perimeter of the door the seal wasn't made. This causes the freezer to over-compensate with more cooling, which is then combined with the humidity entering in through the affected area of the seal. Thus, ice crystals everywhere. They tend to concentrate around the area of the unsealed area.

I've seen our freezer do this, when the door was left just slightly ajar due to an extra gallon of ice cream or some such stuffed in wrong.

That or maybe your appliance is totally screwed.

Reply to
sleepdog

Yes , it is frost free. I called Maytag customer service on the phone, they said it could be opening the door frequently, door not completely shut, and the humidity and temperature outside. I live in Houston Texas and it has been very hot and humid over the past week which is when this frost all over the freezer occurred. I have checked the freezer door and it looks pretty tightly closed. The customer service rep told me to get a hot wet rag and just wipe clean the frost/ice and monitor the freezer for the next couple of days. We'll see. If the situation doesn't improve, then i'll have the maytag technician come out. btw, it is a 2556HES model with bottom freezer. thanks for the replies.

Reply to
icanluv2

Obvious one, but gotta ask...

it IS a frost-free model, right? :)

Reply to
MrC1

Also, the defrost is automatic so i can't adjust it. they said it was built into the refrigerator. i have to admit, my freezer has been overstuffed with food, so i am going to take some of it out and just eat it. i will monitor this in the next few days to see.

Reply to
icanluv2

Has it been humid lately? Is there a dry/humid switch inside? if its not a settings or leaky door seal then you may have a problem with the defrost system. Usually it is the timer but it could also be the heating element in the freezer. usually this causes frost not hard clear ice but ya-neva-no?

Observe the icemakler while it is filling, the water may be blocked and spraying a mist or something. Turn off the icemaker for a few days (lift the metal bar) and see if the situation stabalizes.

Reply to
PipeDown

The defrost cycle is usually controlled by a mechanical timer (I suppose some of the newest models might be all electronic). It is either built into the ice maker itself or it is mounted under the freezer. Usually there is a hole that you can stick a screwdriver into and turn the timer until the defrost cycle starts (compressor will turn off). Check the manual or back of the fridge for a wiring diagram which will tip you off to the location. Knowing your model # should be useful buit getting manuals on the web is hit or miss if we don't own the same model hence the generic advice.

In any case, it sounds like the humidity has gotten a bit too high for this fridge to cope with.

Reply to
PipeDown