Help for grey cedar fence?

My sprinklers were put right next to my cedar fence. Where the fence got wet, it turned grey. I applied tompson's water seal, but it didn't help the already grey area.

Home Depot told me that to put any stain on the fence, I would first have to strip the water sealer.

I don't want to do that, and I don't think I have to. I don't need the fence to look perfect, just a little better.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
walterbyrd

First, correct the sprinklers so they do not spray upon the fence. You don't need to strip the Thompsons, in two or three months it be gone on it's own. You need to apply a wood bleach (Oxalic Acid, mixed up from crystal form).

One or two applications to the fence will lighten it and help those dark areas. Last, apply a more expensive wood sealer/preservative that will give you some life (Thompsons is the bottom of the barrel).

Wood bleach systems and kits are also sold in many stores. Some work well, but they tend to be more expensive than plain old Oxalic Acid.

J.P.

Reply to
TinMan1332

Good, and correct advice.

Boden

T>>My sprinklers were put right next to my cedar fence. Where the fence

Reply to
Boden

Thanks. Any stains/sealers that you would recommend? I like the original goldish color of the fence, but I'm not particular.

Reply to
walterbyrd

Reply to
Bob Bowles