Help diagnosing mysterious orange stuff on grout

Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the orange stuff depicted here is?

I've tried to remove it with tile/grout cleaner, bleach, etc. I can make it go 75% away, but it comes back after a couple of weeks. I suspect some type of moisture problem from under the tile... I do know that there is no problem with standing water on top...

Thanks for your help -

Reply to
Joseph Blow

Looks like hard water stain or rust to me. "It's easier to leave than to be left behind"

Reply to
Camster

Camster, Thanks -

If so, would I need to remove the tile to get rid of it?

I wondered if there was some nail rust underneath that was seeping, but that would mean that I have a moisture problem, I assume...

"> Looks like hard water stain or rust to me.

Reply to
Joseph Blow

Spray with bleach. If it changes color it is mold. Then spray with bleach more often till you kill it. Bleach is the best way to kill mold, it kills the plant-growth by removing its oxygen. Bleach - molds enemy, mans friend.

Reply to
m Ransley

You could check to see if it is rust by using a bit of any of many = products that remove same. If it *is* rust I can't imagine where it is = coming from. Where is the tile and why would moisture be entering from = the bottom? Is the tile on wood? cement board?

--=20 dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Looks like the rust we used to get from our water -- high enough iron content that it would produce rust stains on grout, sometimes even rust spots on clothing in the wash if we used chlorine bleach.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Looks like rust to me too. Iron out is a good product to try to see if its iron stain. Maybe your grout needs sealing?

You could check to see if it is rust by using a bit of any of many products that remove same. If it *is* rust I can't imagine where it is coming from. Where is the tile and why would moisture be entering from the bottom? Is the tile on wood? cement board?

Reply to
Jmagerl

OK, So, two opinions here. Its either rust or mold. Try straight bleach first. If that does not remove it then try CLR. One of the two will most likely clean it. Get it perfectly clean and dry then seal it. Worst case you may need to get a grout saw, scrape out the grout and re-grout it. No need to remove any tile.

Reply to
Brikp

I get something similar sometimes. The only thing that helps is to treat the grout with a product that kills calcium, rust or lime scale. There are various products - The Works (cheapest and seems to work fine), Lime Away, CLR (most expensive and didn't work any better than cheapest for me), store brand Lime Remover product.

Bleach didn't help mine at all.

Reply to
Dorot29701