Grout Sealant

I installed 12" wall and floor tiles in a bathroom with 2"x2" tiles on what used to be a painted, concrete shower floor with a 6" stub wall about six months ago. It's all holding up nicely but I did find recently, some missing grout where the 2" tile meets the schluder which supports the bottom of the 12" tile as it goes up the wall. Gaps were approximately 1/4" or less and I used a fine brush wire wheel in a drill to clean off any soap scum or old grout sealant prior to re-grouting. The grout repair *seems* to have gone well and now my 3 days (or so) are running where I mist the grout a couple of times a day to get some cure time prior to using the shower again. Here's the big question... Instead of using a conventional grout sealer, should I use clear silicone or tub caulk? They make some supposed 50 year stuff now and in my experience with it, it seems more effective than what my experience with the grout sealer was (kind of a cheezy bottle with a brush end used to dab the grout lines). The grout was a sanded portland cement grout (though now in retrospect, I wonder if I should have used an epoxy since it's a shower floor). Anyway, just trying to protect the investment with whatever I can get in there with to protect existing grout lines. The integrity of the grout appears to be holding well - just wondering about a longer term sealant for it.

2nd question as a quickie... what is the preferred method of cleaning grout lines prior to re-sealing? The wire brush *seemed* pretty effective but not being an expert, there might be something that works better. TIA for any help. :-)
Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's hard to get a mental picture. Grout sealer is for grout, it seals it by soaking and creating a non-porous layer on top. If you didn't use a waterproof grout mix on the shower floor that'll be a problem, you may find yourself standing in the basement one day. Personally I would use a plastic pan thing for a shower floor, it is more of a sure thing and requires no maintenance. Not very upscale, I know.

Reply to
roger61611

I would probably use a caulk at that joint between the Schluter and the

2" tile, but you need to have some space there for it. In other words you may need to remove some of the grout to allow for the caulk. As for the rest of the grout joints a good grout sealer will help.

Oh, and you've probably misted enough. It needs to be dry for either caulk or sealer.

I used an acid based cleaner from a tile store to clean grout before. It seems to me that a wire brush would scratch the grout and look unsightly.

Reply to
G Henslee

I've uploaded a picture to the following site.

As you see the missing grout, keep in mind that the rest of that seam around the shower is in tact. I was considering using a clear silicone over the grout surface to seal the pores. Does that make sense, guys?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Makes sense to me. I'd still be concerned about 'why' it's having issues.

Reply to
roger61611

Looks more like it was just badly done in the first place, the grout strip is wide enough so that if you dont do it right on adding water etc in a remix, it isnt strong enough and has just fallen to bits because of that.

Sure, but make sure you mix the grout properly in the first place, dont add more water later to make it less stiff after its partially set when doing the grouting.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The picture indicates to me that there's movement somewhere causing the grout to crack.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
G Henslee

Reply to
invalid unparseable

cover,

Your picture > I had wondered about 'house settling' but will probably wait to see if

Reply to
G Henslee