heating gargage

detached two car garage, with a workshop inside. I am looking for the cheapest way to heat it on Saturdays. Outside temp goes down to 10 degrees. It is insulated with a drop ceiling, and in the spring gets a vynal tile floor, I am working on restoring an old auto.

Reply to
dublin_o

Bring in a stack of packing skids. Let them dry during the week. Crumple news paper, and cram the news papers into the ends of the skids. Light with a match. heat your garage using only materials available for free.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Numerous ways will work. One of the simplest is a propane heater. There are some ventless models that vary from 30,000 to 100,000 Btu. At 10 degrees, you probably need 50,000 or more. I use a 30,000 Btu Reddy Heater and it is not enough below about 25 degrees. There are some infra red propane heaters that should do a nice job, but I've never tried one.

If you want something more permanent and automatic, the Hot Dawg by Modine is a nice unit. Available in natural gas and propane.

Forget electric. A 1500 watt unit is only 5100 Btu, not enough to warm your hands on a really cold day.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Be sure you have good ventilation to provide fresh air to the space. Anytime you burn a fossil fuel in a confined space, you have an opportunity for carbon monoxide to develop from the lack of oxygen. As the heater heats, the available oxygen is depleted causing incomplete combustion, thus producing carbon monoxide. Caution is the key.

Reply to
Zyp

I had the same situation 2 years ago. I bought a 240V 5KW electric heater...one of those cube boxes. I think it is 20BTU, but it takes the chill out quick and you don't have to worry about fumes/fire. I use it on some weekends only so the electric hit isn't noticeable. anything more that 60F in a garage it too hot for me, so this gets me there quick even on really cold days.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

I use a trashcan style propane heater. It goes up to 80,000 BTUs, but I only need to set it at 25% power to heat the garage from 0F to 60F. That takes about 10 minutes and then I turn it back down to the lowest setting and it stays at 60F for the rest of the day. Runs on a 20lb tank. Easy and cheap.

Reply to
<h>

I&#39;ll just mention that I *wouldn&#39;t* get a Reddy torpedo style heater- or any kerosene type portable heater that uses a glow igniter instead of the old sparkplug type.

I bought a new 55K Reddy heater 2-3yrs ago for just under $200. Blew an igniter the second time I used it. I paid attention to the settings, bought a $50 igniter and tried again. Used it twice- and blew another igniter. Took it to the shop and they replaced it on warranty. Used it twice more- and blew another. . .

I wouldn&#39;t mind if the igniters were $5-10, but they are $50 locally and about $30 on ebay.

So far this winter I have used it a dozen times and burned 20 gallons of kero & it is working. But every time I turn it on I wonder if it is going to cost me $30 to heat my garage that day.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht