Heating Duct Insulation

In my garage I have heating duct work running across the ceiling. "Glued" to the duct work was once pink bat type insulation (now mostly black) and it is now starting to slowly pull away. When I took a look to see how the insulation was put on the ducts, I can see a black glue or tar was used. I would like to replace all of the insulation with new but I'm not sure what to use to adhere it to the duct work. Wrapping is not an option since most of the duct has the top side flush with the ceiling.

What options do I have? What could I use to basically duplicate what is there?

Richard Kot

Reply to
Richard Kot

My dad had the same situation. I bought some bats with paper backing and some lath. Nailed the lath to one side with the insulation under the lath. The rapped it around the duct to the other side and nailed again. I used staples in the beginning to get everything up and situated then I screw the lath to the bottom of the joist. Dad's ceiling was drywalled so the staples held for the time I needed. Not pretty worked great.

Reply to
SQLit