Another question for you and the group - I looked at the model number
and it's a Magic Chef G8A75DC30-15. This obviously is not the suspect
Magic Chef ENG model, but I'm concerned that the model number formats
looks so dissimilar. I'm sure I'm copying this down for a plate that
says "Magic Chef" "Furnace", and this is after the field that is
indicated to be the "Model Number". Could ENG be short for something
that I should be inferring from my furnace's model number?
Right now I'm thinking about just replacing the furnace all together.
It's 20 years old and clearly not in great shape. I'm planning on
living here for 10+ years, so I don't mind making the investment.
The A/C and hot air come from the same system (obviously the
compressor is outside). Is it advisable to change both at the same
No, I think you are in the clear. You furnace model breaks down like this
G8A-- 80+ gas horizontal series
75-----75,000 BTU gas input
D--direct drive blower
30---2-1/2 or 3 ton a/c ariflow
Seems to be a typical furnace model number.
Twenty years is a decent life span for most gas burning equiptment (except
Most heating guys would tell you not to expect a horizontal or counterflow
unit to last even that long.
However, if it gets a clean bill of health, then at least it's up to you to
decide if you want an new one or not.
The main factor that will come into play when deciding whether to replace
both is whether the evaporator (the indoor section of the A/C) will match up
to your new heating equipment without a lot of wasted ductwork and labor.
In the old days we would just go with the evaporator new to match the
heating equipment (approx. $150.00-$200.00 extra), but with the new minumum
13 SEER standards in place thanks to the govt., that would make a gross
mismatch of old condenser and new evaporator. I would guess you'll just
have to get bids and weigh your options based on the saleman's assessment of
your given situation.
Another consideration is that is you spend enough on high efficiency
equipment, you can qualify for up to $1,500.00 of your taxes for 2009.
Consult your tax advisor about wherther you want to consider that. Then
again, maybe you already spent money on other qualifying items and have
reached the max threshold for this year. Either way, I'm glad to see that
you can make the decision at your leisure, and not scramble for winter. You
know there's really no such thing as fall special pricing. Just negotioate
your best deal when you are ready, or get the thing serviced for winter and
forget about it.
Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like I should plan to get the
system replaced at some point. The questions become a) do I
proactively replace the system and b) is it worth servicing if I'm
going to be replacing at some point soon anyway.
I've got a CO2 detector, so hopefully that will catch anything that
goes awry. Is there anything else I should worry about with waiting
for it to go bad?
Also, we have two HVAC systems - one for the first floor/basement and
one for the attic (the one with the rust is in the attic). Even if one
goes bad, the other will hopefully hold us over for a few days. Of
course, the one in the basement is 20 years old too, so lightning
could strike at the same exact time!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.