Heat-Saver Dryer Vent?

Is a Heat-Saver Dryer Vent any better than a regular Dryer Vent Louver?

Brookstone.com sells a heat saver dryer vent, here is the link:

*Cart*Product&prodtemp=t2 thanks.

Reply to
torretta1

*Cart*Product&prodtemp=t2>

I've never used one, but I think the "savings" are likely negligible; just my opinion though. I don't see any real improvement over clappers and in fact it seems the possibility of lint fires might be enhanced by the design. If a person isn't keeping a clapper clean, he's not likely to do any better job with something like that, and I do notice they're careful to mention cleaning whenever they talk about it. It does, on second thought, appear as though it might be better than a clapper if the vent's located where say the west winds can get to it easily. Looks like it's more likely to stay sealed as opposed to flapping with the pressure changes within a house. Interesting; maybe someone with actuall experience will come along.

Cheers,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

*Cart*Product&prodtemp=t2>

It's a nice fix for a problem you likely don't have. In today's tight homes a little venting is not a bad idea.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

*Cart*Product&prodtemp=t2>

Looks like an overkill to me.

My thoughts are:

If it's mounted low enough to be able to reach it for checking/cleaning without having to use a ladder, then you may find that curious or malicious kids might remove the cover and may make off with it.

With the traditional exposed louver style like these:

You can easily notice when there's lint hanging up the louvers and do something about it. With that fancy design you probably have to make a concious "inspection effort" to see if the shuttle is stuck.

On a picky note, I don't like the looks of the Brookstone pictured vent. Whoever installed it was too sloppy or lazy to cut wedge shaped pieces of wood to fill those ugly gaps created by the siding overlaps.

Just my .02. My dryer vent sits on siding too, but those gaps are filled.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

*Cart*Product&prodtemp=t2

Coincidentally, I got to see one of those last night. The damp air output comes out in a circle all around, and runs right straight up the side of the house! At least a flapper pushes it out from the siding a few inches or so. To see it, wait unti after dark and use a bright light to illuminate it; get the angle right and you can see the moisture in the air. Do it about ten minutes after the dryer is started.

Cheers,

Pop

Reply to
Pop