Hayward pump cycling on/off before blowing breaker

I just returned from vacation and found the 20amp circuit breaker tripped that my hayward pool filter is plugged into. I inspected the filter and found a ton of tree seedlings clogging the basket and filter. I cleaned both, reset the breaker and turned the filter on. The filter cycles on and then off about every second for about 10 seconds and then blows the breaker again. Did the pump over heat while I was on vacation and damage something?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken

If the motor is not starting, check the starting capacitor first, if it has one. The motor is not cooled by water flow.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch