Having problems with Amana refrigerator. Please help!!!

Can you put drano or some other chemical in to unclog the drain tube or would that damage the fridge?

Reply to
Jack

Hi,

Chemicals like that are not good for the food inside the fridge.....not a good idea!!

JMO!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I have poured boiling water in the area where the drain is but it still seems clogged. Are you absolutely sure I can't use some kind of chemical (drano) on the drain? I mean there isn't any food in the freezer right now. Will there be any lingering gases that could contaminate the food that gets put in later? Can the fumes/liquid damage any parts of the fridge?

Thanks for any advise!

Reply to
Jack

Hi,

Try running a single wire down the drain or access the other end and blow backwards through the drain hose....or even a hose pushed in from the top and blow through to flush it out.

The evaporator coil is a very thin aluminum, wouldn't take much to damage it...I havn't ever needed a chemical to clean the drain system out with in the 22 years that I have been doing service...none are easy but some ore just more work.

jeff.

Reply to
jeff

Can the refrigerator be turned on its side without any problem? The problem is that I can't really get to the drain tube. From the topside there is this drip tray thats over the top of it and from the bottom I would have to lift up the fridge or turn it on its side. Even on its side, I may find something unexpected. I know that the condensor coils are underneath the bottom. I don't know if they are blocking the drain tube or not. I would like to go from the top. How can I get the evaporator coils out of the way to get more of a straight shot at the drain? I tell you I am really tempted to use drano and hope it clears this clog.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jack

Many refrig compressors cannot safely be tipped on thier sides. Dunno what it is about it, but the lubricating oil gets into the piston. And when you turn it bakc on, the compressor breaks.

Might just be time for a little touch of drano, if hot water didn't clear the line. Just remember that when you're done, you oughta pull the plastic tray out from below, and clean that out to get the drano out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

For those who might care. I ended up taking the panels off the back of the fridge and luckily I got access to the drain pipe that way. A word of caution though; don't use too much boiling water on the drain pipe. It will make it bend out of shape. We'll see if this thing is finally fixed now. Thanks to all those that replied.

Reply to
Jack

Hope you got it!!

Thankx fore the update :)