Haunted fridge

Hi Folks and thanks for reading this.... I have a Hotpoint fridge...aproximately 17 cubic ft bought brand new in 1996. When this fridge 'kicks out' there is a couple of bangs comes out of it...I mean LOUD...wish I could describe it to you. It happens about three times a day (that I have noticed)....I haven't even pulled the fridge away from the wall...so what do I look for when I DO yank it away from the wall???? ...I have noticed different times that there is a vibration comming from the top of the fridge as I see stuff vibrating from it (Cards on top of the fridge) ....Do I call Maytag or call for an excersism?...LOL...

THERE!!!!!!!..it just did it again as I type this message....scared me out of my wits...been doing this for about two months now...gives a very brief shake sounds like something came loose or something is out of balance and lasts for about 1/2 second...I think I'll try the priest first before calling a repair man as my presence has been accounted for in the past year so maybe I'll get a deal... My question is this......is there any moving parts that will go unbalanced or lose that would cause such a vibration?...if so...where do I find it? Thanks and God Bless.... Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

an old refrigerator that is on its last leg, waiting to go broke is often called a banger..... maybe thats what you have.. if its the compressor banging then save up some money to get a new one....

Reply to
jim

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here But.

Like the other Jim said. i think you have a rattler compressor and with in 1 to 3 years it will give out. Usely it is a spring that breaks inside the compressor holding the motor and pump up right and letting the motor and pump hit the side of the casing.

So Start shopping around for a new refrigerator because you have 1 to 3 years to find a bargain on a new one.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You won't see anything. The problem is inside the sealed compressor unit, most likely a broken spring. Cost of repair is very high.

It could last a couple of more years, it could go tomorrow. At least prepare for the inevitable by deciding what brand and maybe the exact model you want so if it goes out, al you have to do is call the dealer and have it delivered.

NOTE: I said have it delivered. Your local appliance dealer probably belongs to a buyer's co-op and can sell as cheap as the big discount stores. I see people buying major appliances and hauling them home. Why? For maybe

20 bucks the local guy will deliver and set up the new one and haul away the old one. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski