Has anyone heard of using Silicone as a replacement for concrete?

Someone claims he heard of pavements made out of pure silicone (like the caulk). He said they are used for special conditions, but did not know anymore about it.

I have to say that I could see this feasible, but extremely costly. I do see where it would not crack like concrete, and would be easy on the feet. I'd imagine that it would come in containers larger than caulking tubes. Also, if it's several inches think, it must take a long time to harden (dry).

Somehow I could see problems using it for a sidewalk or driveway when it comes to snow removel, since the snow plow would tear up the surface (just a guess)....???

Reply to
jw

I don't see it.

Google says silicone has use as a sealant (for cracks):

Dan Espen

i used to go to a high school gym that had a rubber floor, probably urethane, about 1" thick. it had an indoor 1/8" mile track and it was a pleasure to run on it. when they had to repair a spot, they just cut it out, poured a new patch, and let it harden up.

Reply to
chaniarts

I've seen rubber flooring, and rubber flooring sold to cover sidewalks. You can have it made in various textures such as faux brick, or ridged. Haven't heard of silicone, though. I suppose in snowy climates you could apply heating elements to the underside to melt snow. Those can be embedded in concrete, too, but when they fail the concrete has to be removed, so in those circumstances a rubber mat with elements embedded would be easier to maintain.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I've seen heated concrete walks. I'd hate to pay the electric bill. But do they really need to be removed? Unless they use pipes with steam or heated water, electric heating would be a resistive wire. Those wires have limited life no matter what. Dont they make so that this wire (heating element) can be replaced? Such as having it in tubes or pipes where a replacement can be fished in? Just a guess, I never really knew how they accomplished the heating....

As for the silicone, I *CAN* see having silicone mats, which are made in a factory and laid onto a concrete or wooden floor. That seems feasible. But *pouring* liquid silicone on the ground to create a walk or driveway does not seen to make sense. At the same time, molding it into blocks might work. I have seen some sort of rubber patio blocks sold in the stores. They look almost like the concrete patio blocks, but cost a lot more. Those may contain something like silicone.... or maybe they are more like a rubber tire? For all I know, they may be made from recycled tires, which would be a good thing. (there is nothing said with the product what they are made from).

AS far as cost, these 12x12 rubber patio blocks are around $6 each, while a concrete one costs about one dollar at the same store.

Reply to
jw

Nope - they are "generally" dirct burial in the concrete - and if the concrete cracks you have a problem. Sometimes also burried in sand under the concrete. I've seen both -Likely other ways too, but it would not be in a tube because the cable needs to be directly IN the "heat sink" to heat the concrete without overheating the cable.

Reply to
clare