Hardwood floor care

Soap an water, just no plastics in the floor products, or future refinishing will be bad.

Reply to
m Ransley

use water or a mild soap that does not leave oil residue.

Reply to
m Ransley

When I moved into my house with real wood floors I had the same question. After much research the answer i found was vinegar and water. Of course use a lightly damp mop.

Reply to
Unknown

water with some vinager works great

Reply to
rnr_construction

Hello All,

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

I have just used warm water and a mild detergent. I have not put any vinegar in there yet, but it sounds like a pretty smart idea. I think a good mop is essential though.

Reply to
Lola

I like Minwax Hardwood Floor Cleaner.

Reply to
Alan

For everyday cleaning, warm water with a half-cup of white vinegar. The vingear cuts down on the water spots and won't harm the finish. For spot cleanups (i.e. sick pets), use a non-ammonia based window cleaner. Twice a year or so, use a good urethaned hardwood cleaner. The big box home stores carry them. Lowes has a hardwood floor care kit with spray cleaner and terrycloth mop which works well on my engineered floors.

Steve Manes

Thank you all for your advice!

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

It's the grit and dirt that dulls floors. Use a dust mop daily and a vacuum regularly. This will keep scratching (and dulling) to a minimum. You can also use an oil soap and a damp sponge, if necessary. I use Murphy's oil soap once a year (no pets nor children here), rinse and dry. Maybe not practical for most but we take our shoes off when entering the house which helps keep the floor and carpeting clean.

Reply to
Phisherman