Hardipanel for Shed Siding?

I've got a line on some 5/16" X 4' X 8' Sierra Hardipanels, pre- primed, for $22 each.

I'm planning on building a small lean-to style shed to house some bikes, etc. over the winter as I need the garage for a winter project.

8' W x 6' D x 6' H at the front.

Can I use the Hardipanels right over the stud walls or do I need to use sheathing under it?

Can I use the Hardipanels as roofing material - with felt-paper covered sheathing underneath? There will be snow and the roof will have a very shallow pitch, maybe 1:12. I was thinking kind of a board & batten roof, with copious amounts of caulk under the battens.

Do you think I'd get a winter or so worth's of use out of this?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

HardiPlank is fundamentally concrete. It will last longer than the dirt. If the Pyramids had been made of HardiPlank, they wouldn't look so disheveled up close (except where the grave-robbers broke in of course).

To answer you questions, I would think "Yes." Now it's about as heavy as concrete, so, for a roof, use lots of bracing.

Reply to
HeyBub

I would back it - it is brittle if struck by a rock (eg, from the mower or if someone stumbles into it between joists). I think that some stubs between the joists would be OK as well. Keep us posted on what you chose to do, even if nothing.

Reply to
C & E

Go here for the instructions:

I've put up a ton of Hardie products, and they're great. They're concrete, though, and concrete isn't waterproof, so be sure to paint it. It's also fragile, as C&E pointed out.

They used to make a roofing product, but it's off the market now, as far as I know. I wouldn't use the siding products on a roof.

Reply to
SteveBell