Harbor Freight Cargo Carrier - 92655 - Experience?

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 2:36:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

max means...

ear later, looks new ,bit faded in joints,cuz there red. holding strong..Ov erloading anything causes failure,, . carring 9 milk crates and 15 inch mud spare, !!And those are can foods .
Good to know. Of course, the review I posted is 7 years old, but I guess it 's OK to get an update, even if yours is only a year old. ;-)
I haven't used mine in many years. What I carry now requires a trailer.
snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote:

On the OP's part or the guy following?

You buy it and then ask for reviews...? I think we need to work on the cart and horse order. ;)

You buy it and then ask for reviews...? I think we need to work on the cart and horse order. ;)
========== And there are reviews on the web page. The only major complaint is the lousy instructions. Personally, I've returned items for that reason. Cripes - does it really cost a company money to choose a larger font before printing their instructions?
I wondered if it was made in China. It's funny how real Amurkins were all hot & bothered about communism at one time, but now, they're delighted to buy from a communist dictatorship.

re: "And there are reviews on the web page"
Read 'em...liked 'em.
I just figured I'd try for some "real life" opinions here. You never really know what filters a web site might use on their comments - especially the web site that is selling the product. Go ahead, call me paranoid. I lost all trust when I found out the Penthouse Letters were faked.
Besides, as expected, this question has already lead to some interesting comments and tangents - much more fun than just reading the reviews at hf.com. ;-)
On 7/29/2010 11:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Harbor freight plays it straight. Go to their website and search for a heavy duty trailer dolly. I bought one after reading the reviews, then posted my own experience. True, it was mostly positive but I included what I didn't like and how I had to modify it to make it suit my needs. They've printed my comments verbatim.
Jay

That's not enough to be sure. You need to find one that is very negative about something important, a rating that if believed to be true much of the time, one wouldn't buy it. Or maybe worse.

On 7/29/2010 2:40 PM, mm wrote:

OK, here's one I didn't write but is on their website with just one out of five possible stars awarded:
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/tig-arc-welders/240-volt-inverter-arc-tig-welder-66787.html
I'll quote them:
===> cut begins <==Not a quality welder Review by Brian
I purchased this welder for my auto restoration product. The arc is hard to start with out getting the electrode stuck to the surface of the work piece. I switched over to use the Tig Torch & the same problem occurred. You have to get so close to start the arc, that it just sticks to the metal. I re-ground te Tungsten probably 20 times, went through 2 tanks of Argon and still do not have the panel repaired. I welded for years and never had this many problems with Tig welding. Spend the extra cash and go for a Lincoln welder.
(Posted on 5/2/10) ===> cut ends <==
Like I said, I believe they play it straight. I always read their reviews not only to help decide whether to buy or not but how to modify and/or assembly hints. People write all kinds of stuff there.
And like some others, I'll give up the pretty wrapping and clear instructions if I can get something both workable and CHEAP. Some things I'd never buy from HF. Some things I'd never buy anywhere else.

Jay

That one meets my standards. Very good.
If I had read the ratings on a radio shack cell phone headset, on the radios shack site, I wouldn't have bought that either, but it was a cheaper item, 15 dollars, and I had never looked at it on the computer at all. They weren't as bad as the one above, but the four together averaged out bad. -- Volume with the thing plugged in and stuck in my ear is lower than without it.

On 7/29/2010 10:33 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html
If you'll scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you'll see a link to a downloadable manual; a pdf file that can be resized as big as you'd like.
I'd rather circumnavigate the earth twice before I stopped to ask for directions. This is no different. I don't need no steenking directions.
It's a man thing.
Jay

Women ask for directions, but then are unable to follow them, because they want to "interpret" everything.

Yeah, I know all about that. That's for people who lose their instructions and need another copy. If a manufacturer can't make the miniscule effort needed to provide proper, legible instructions ALONG WITH THE PRODUCT, they don't get my business.

For the most part, I agree with your sentiments.
However, given the option of a $50 carrier with improper, illegible instructions versus $80, $90 or more for one with a pretty manual, I'll live with the bad instructions - especially if the manual is easily available on-line.
Am I wimping out and letting them get away with poor service? Yep. Was I able to purchase the carrier *and* the nylon cover for less than the price of the carrier alone? Yep.
For that, I'm willing to sacrifice my principles.

For the most part, I agree with your sentiments.
However, given the option of a $50 carrier with improper, illegible instructions versus $80, $90 or more for one with a pretty manual, I'll live with the bad instructions - especially if the manual is easily available on-line.
Am I wimping out and letting them get away with poor service? Yep. Was I able to purchase the carrier *and* the nylon cover for less than the price of the carrier alone? Yep.
For that, I'm willing to sacrifice my principles.
=======
I almost dumped Levolor into this category. Ordered 6 blinds and found no instructions in the first box. Got pissed, downloaded the PDF instructions. (The mounting procedure for these particular blinds was not at all obvious). Installed the first two, got to box #3, and voila. There they were. It wasn't the box with the packing slip & shipping label on the outside, either. They just randomly picked a box.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Don't drink much beer, do you?

I stop before doing permanent damage. You, on the other hand, went over the line long ago.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Oh. I might drink beer if I could find the instructions.Where are they?

re: "I might drink beer if I could find the instructions.Where are they?"
Right here...
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/9049/beert3mz.gif
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:51:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That was great!!

Check the pop tarts box?