Happy Armed Forces Day to all who Honorably Serve

Yet another apples to oranges comparison.

From your previous attempt:

"The change will not affect how the unemployed are counted or the unemployment rate is computed . . ."

From this one:

"Though Hall now works for the Mercatus Center, a right-wing think tank at George Mason University partially funded by the billionaire Koch Brothers (Charles Koch sits on its board), he is not suggesting that the BLS is cooking the books, as Jack Welch and other conservatives have suggested."

People sitting on the sidelines in despair of finding a job are not, nor have they been previously, part of the official figure. He wishes it were so, but it just isn't - and hasn't been.

From a link in that article:

"Hall confirms that the jobless rate that makes the headlines ? called the U-3 by BLS ? doesn?t take into account people who have stopped looking for work but does count as employed folks who have worked as little as an hour during the preceding month.

A broader (and more accurate) measure of the state of US labor ? called U-6, which includes the underemployed ? jumped sharply in June to 14.3 percent from 13.8 percent the month before."

Yep, apples and oranges and if wishes was fishes we'd all castinet (clickety click).

So, my statement about Burford's lie still stands.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

==========================

Now, Jim Clifton, chairman and CEO of the respected Gallup polling organization, has written a blistering broadside on the devious way President Obama?s Department of Labor defines its monthly job numbers, calling it ?the big lie.?

The numbers do not count millions of Americans who want and need full-time jobs but are not defined as among the unemployed. That, as Mr. Clifton knows well, remains the chief reason why the jobless rate has fallen. ===========================

Mr. Obama?s claim of a robust jobless rate takes no account of the record 92.9 million Americans no longer in the labor force. The labor participation rate was 62.7 percent in December, a 38-year low that recalled the ?economic malaise? of the Carter presidency.

The administration?s jobless-rate claims fool no one beyond the Beltway, and certainly not Jim Clifton, the president and CEO of the Gallup polling organization. Mr. Clifton calls the 5.6 percent unemployment rate ?the Big Lie.? Chastising mainstream media and Wall Street for ?cheerleading for this number,? he says it?s ?extremely misleading.? ============================

Here are some more liars for you to contact.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The problem with the unemployment numbers is that they're wrong. They don't take into account people who have simply given up and stopped looking for work and they don't account for people who are under employed.

Reply to
SeaNymph

And why is it that you never take responsibility for what the left does? You do nothing but complain about the past. Seems it's about time for obama and his minions to own the problems they've created over the last

8 years, all by themselves.
Reply to
SeaNymph

What you are actually saying here is that you think that they're using the wrong algorithm. The numbers themselves are good. As long as we compare numbers from the same agreed upon algorithm, the results can be compared apples to apples. Doing otherwise and and making the other side look like they are fudging with the numbers is just lying, and both camps do it to manipulate public opinion.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Do you just throw crap out there to see if it will stick? Can you even answer your own questions? Are you aware that the answer to your question can be easily found by using Google?

The answer to your question is more republicans have served in the military than democrats. Military veterans are more likely to vote republican than democrat.

Here's one example.

SeaNymph

Nothing like failing to count long term unemployed people to make the numbers better. Kind of like Washington DC Mayor Marion Barry: Crime in washington is down if you don't consider the muders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What I'm saying is that I do not think "unemployment numbers" give an accurate accounting of the millions of people who are currently unemployed or under employed.

I don't care who's spouting the numbers, I don't see them as being a realistic representation of what's really happening.

If that means they're using the wrong algorithm, so be it.

Reply to
SeaNymph

That depends upon which algorithm you use.

You said above:

"They don't take into account people who have simply given up and stopped looking for work and they don't account for people who are under employed."

Although the U-6 algorithm does almost exactly that. If a person doesn't look for work because he or she just plain doesn't *want* to work for no particular reason - they should not be included in the numbers anyway.

IMO there is no 'wrong algorithm' - the problem is two people arguing while using *different* algorithms, and someone suggesting that someone else (like Obama in this case) has changed the meaning of the numbers when the truth is that the same algorithms have been in use for a very long time.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

on 5/27/2016, burfordTjustice supposed :

Try again in English this time.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

There are, imo, probably millions of people who simply cannot find work in their fields. Those people usually end up being under employed, or just unemployed. Many no longer have any benefits to draw on.

The fact remains that a percentage, which is usually shown as the unemployment number is simply not an accurate depiction of the current state of things in the here and now. I believe the number I keep hearing is something along the lines of 92 million working age people not working. I find that staggering.

Reply to
SeaNymph

This article provides a quite reasonable description of what the 92 million actually means, and I think it makes sense.

However, 20+ million people out of work is still pretty grim.

Reply to
SeaNymph

On 27-May-16 6:56 PM, SeaNymph wrote: [....]

Are YOU still of "working age", Linda?

Reply to
David B

Yeah, there's that, and the fact that many people might be telling lies when the census takers ask them these questions. Anyway, the figures are good for what they are meant to be used for, and very misleading when misapplied. I only responded to this because of the intentional misapplication and the suggestion that apples to oranges comparisons are in any way valid.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I am, and I'm not working, so that's 92 million and one.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Me too. It took me about three days to decide I'd just as soon not be in the Army but the alternative once you're drafted, well I learned to shut up do as I was told.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

I asked because when SeaNymph first came to the Scorched-Earth group she was unemployed (and so was her husband). I seem to recall that she was too old to find a job even way back then, but perhaps I am mistaken. As far as I'm aware she has not worked since that time.

As for you, Rafters, you mentioned the other day that your ailments had pretty much cleared up (GREAT news indeed). Does that mean that you might consider a return to work should a suitable position present itself?

Reply to
David B

You asked about my hands and feet (poorly paws) but that isn't my current problem.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Oh, dear! Do you want to talk about it? Here, or by email?

Whatever, I'm saddened to learn you have a problem. :-(

Reply to
David B

I've told you several times, and even gave you a URL describing psoriatic disease. Have you forgotten already?

Reply to
FromTheRafters