Halogen screw in bulbs - waste of money

I might add one other difference. Because halogens generally have more compact filaments and they are encased in a smaller area (both part of the halogen cycle that gives them the longer life) the result is a little more visible light and less infrared (heat).

Some may realized that halogens get hotter and expect that they give off less heat, but while they are hotter they have less surface area and the net heat loss is less.

As you pointed out that there are so many other factors, that it is hard to point out any one.

Another point, not directly related to halogens, are dimmers. While a dimmer will save energy ,when used, using a larger bulb, of the same design, and them dimming it to get the same light will use more energy. Long life bulbs also use more energy per light output for the same reason. The original writer had the right idea of comparing light output to watts but missed many other factors.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't forget that, unless you're a jewelry store, lighting usually represents less than 20% of your total electric bill. If you're looking to save energy, invest in replacing the real energy wasters, like old refrigeratiors, unused freezers, dehumidifiers , air-conditioners.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I have some 30 watt (or less, could be 28) CF bulbs made by Globo. They are supposed to be the equivalent of 100 watts and they are indeed very bright. They're also very resistant. My dad dropped one while changing it, from around 6 or 7 feet, and the thing still works great, no crack or anything.

Reply to
j j

that's not the only reason to use CF bulbs. My reason is simple: the lamp I have accepts 3 bulbs of maximum 60 watts each and I want more light. 100 watts would be too hot. Another reason is the house wiring is very old and there are many circuits connected to one wire. 300 watts in my lamp is too much draw.

Reply to
j j

Lumen rating is for a new bulb. In a standard incandescent bulb, as the tungsten evaporates from the filament, it is deposited on the inside wall of the glass bulb, reducing the light output of the bulb. In a halogen bulb, the tungsten is deposited back on the filament, so the bulb's light output stays fairly constant over it's lifetime (that's also the reason for it's longer life).

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

That's all fine and good, but how many times have you thought, right before a bulb burned out, "Gee, that puppy sure is getting dim..."?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here