gutters and flashing

Hi...

We're getting quotes to put new gutters up on our house. We've got 2 guys repping the same gutter brand but the quote's are $400 apart. The only difference in what they say they do is that one guy puts flashing behind the gutter and the other doesn't.

How big a deal is the flashing? Worth the extra $400?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

Mark Modrall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

My unprofessional thoughts...

If the gutters are installed properly you don't need flashing. The drip edge should direct the water into the gutter. Where drip edge would not do this for various reasons like a crooked roof, I have seen them put a piece of metal under the drip edge and into the gutter.

Really not clear on the extent of the proposed flashing. Cover entire facia? Where does the upper edge of the flashing go? Under the drip edge? I would think any water that did not go off the drip edge into the gutter would follow the flashing behind the gutter. Are these "catches

90% of water gutters"?!!!

Do you have ice issues?

Possibly I will learn something as well from other replies.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If you mean he is covering painted wood with aluminum capping, then yes, it is worth the $400 and will be a better job in the long run.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Where do you live?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We're in Massachusetts, so we do get a fair amount of ice. One of the guys said that he'd put flashing only where he thought the drip edge wasn't sufficient but that he didn't see the need for it. The other guy said as a matter of course he flashes from the drip edge into the gutter

- so kind of like the opinions expressed here.

The difference in the quotes were $926 (no flashing) to $1336 (flashing), so it made about a 40+% difference in the quote. One guy says it's guilding the lilly, the other guy says it's the only way to go.

We just thought we'd ask on here what the general opinion was.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall