Gutter Straps over shingles?

I had my gutters replaced and they attached them to the roof with metal straps over the shingles which does not look good. My question is, was this done correctly and is this a common practice? I have never seen this before.
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:14:07 AM UTC-4, elvis10 wrote:

It's a common practice among shysters that don't know what they are doing or do know, but don't care because it's fast and they won't be there when the roof leaks and rots.
Were there no fascia boards along the front? That is where they should have been screwed into, using a long screw that goes straight back, from the front lip of the gutter to the back and into the fascia wood. Was this a real seamless gutter company? Hard to imagine one doing it that way.
trader_4 posted for all of us...

I got a good laugh out of this comment! Thanks.
--
Tekkie

On 05/12/2018 10:14 AM, elvis10 wrote:

No and no. If some jack-leg did that to me I'd give our municipal building inspector a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:58:43 AM UTC-4, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:

straps

ne

efore.

a call and then I'd be off to small-claims court.
You know, I went back and looked at it again. Aside from being totally wro ng to go over the shingles, I don't see how it even really secures the gutters ? It looks like it's just hanging from the back and that it would flop around , eg the wind could move it up and down, etc.
On 5/12/2018 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You been duped.
Check out photos at:
https://www.a1seamlessguttersmaine.com/aluminum-gutters.html
On Sat 12 May 2018 09:21:14a, Ben Duped told us...

Our guters have always had straps secured from underneath the shingles. I've never actually seen straps that were mounted on top of the shingles. Looks bad and can cause problems down the line.

On 5/12/18 10:58 AM, Jack Legg Gutters wrote:

Why not just call the contractor first and see if he'll come out and fix it right- including replacing those shingles with the nail holes in them.
Whole lot easier than getting the government involved or going to court;-)
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

On 5/12/2018 7:11 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

My experience is if they didn't have enough sense to do it right the first time, they won't have it to correct the second time. I can understand an oversight or minor error, this isn't one of them.
On 5/12/18 10:05 PM, Meanie wrote:

I hear you.
Best case scenario is that on the day that job was scheduled, the regular crew (Pete and Jack) called in sick so the contractor sent out Paco and Jose instead ;-)
--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.
On 5/13/2018 7:03 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

LOL!
On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 7:03:22 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

And I hear you too. Usually before you take other measures, you are expected to give the other party the opportunity to correct it. This is an example why it's a good idea to be there, if you can, while the work is being done and to have a contract that spells out the key parts. But I can understand how the typical homeowner would not be thinking about how they are going to attach them. Another good question is how were the previous gutters attached? I assume they were not hung in that half-ass method. If that's true, it's another reason the installer is wrong, they should have informed the homeowner what they were going to do that's different, especially since it's visible and made sure they were OK with it. If that roof is relatively new, it's all the more worse.
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 7:11:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

one

before.

)
One reason why would be that anyone dumb enough to do what they did, you do n't want doing anything more to your roof. They can't do gutters, which app arently is what they are supposed to know how to do, now you want them to d o roofing work?