GROUT !

A neighbor spent a fortune having ceramic tile installed in her kitchen floor. ( it looked so nice in the picture )

She's quickly found out that; Drop a dish or glass, and it's "smasho" !

But more annoying is the grout lines; It seems they collect every bit of dirt and grime, and cleaning them is a bitch.

Surely, there must be some sort of ( water based ) product that'll seal up and waterproof the grout lines... ???

Reply to
Anonymous

Umm, no, that's why no sane person tiles a counter. Looks awful and is extremely unhygienic.

Sorta, but it doesn't last long, so you have to keep re-applying it, after a PITA cleaning. There is a reason diners with tile floors out front, and pretty much any restaurant kitchen, all use dark gray grout, even with the standard clay red tile. The cafeteria at the office where I work has the red tile in the serving line area, and they have to clean and refresh the grout lines 2-3 times a year.

Reply to
aemeijers

Colored grout.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Sounds like they could have been washed-out a tad too deep.

Well, there's grout sealer. I don't know if any are water based, but I imagine in this day and age they all are. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

A little late for your neighbor but there is a two part epoxy grout available. A friend told me about using it.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Yes there is. It's called - ready? - grout sealer.

It comes in various flavors including water base. I prefer silicone sealers.

Reply to
dadiOH

Washroom at work with small ceramic tiles on the floor with black grout. This is on concrete in the basement level. There was a small flood in the washroom over a weekend and not noticed until Monday. A thin layer of water sat on the tile floor for a day or more and guess what --- most of the waxed in dirt on the grout came off -- the grout was white underneath. This was a rough way to clean the floor but it looked good after it was all back in use.

Reply to
EXT

I've been told that grey grout shows dirt least.

There are "grout colorants" that, IIRC are epoxy based.

There are many grout sealants available.

Reply to
Bob F

I used

about a year ago. Grout is perfect. Since then I added a different color in the bathroom and a utility hall - same excellent results. I have no relationship with groutshields other than a satisfiied user.

Reply to
shellyfdelete