Ground cover suggestions please

Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house. For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more (via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree) Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB

Reply to
LB

If there are trees this is a shaded spot and [particularly if the tree is a maple] the tree roots are competing with the grass. I doubt that any grass will do what you want because grass needs sun. I have a very shady lot and find pachysandra to be about the only ground cover which will grow.

Reply to
John_B

LB,

Look in your phonebook in the "government" section. Usually there's a county agricultural extension service office. There should be a master gardener who will know your soil and climate. You'll probably need to do a soil test

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

it would depend upon where you are. if you were near me, i'd recommend decomposed granite, a couple 2 ton boulders, and a bunch of cactus.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Dave has the best idea. Call your county extension office (or whatever it is called in your area). They will know your area. Do tell them about the slope, shade, what kind of trees are causing the shade and any traffic - abuse the area may recieve.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You might try rec.gardens, too.

Reply to
Roger

Similar problem here although area is level. Trees planted as seedlings are now 30 years old. Depending on your climate try clover; or even a good layer of moss which seems to grow well under our maple amd beech trees! IIRC Clover also helps replenish nitrogen in soil? But local advice prob best idea.

Reply to
Terry

Add in a barrel cactus or two, but beware those chollas. They can be nasty if you back into 'em. Nice thing about Arizona is that you can hire an illegal groundskeeper to take care of these problems at one tenth the cost. :-)

Bob

Reply to
rck

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I did not make myself clear. I do not really care about growing anything, even though I will try the local ag agent. I would be happy with pine bark, pebbles or whatever. Anything to stop soil from washing away. BUT it can not be too heavy or the weight will kill the tree by smothering the roots.

LB

Reply to
LB

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I did not make myself clear.

Now that you've cleared that up, here is another plan. I've used heavy duty dark grey or black fiberglass landscaping cloth from home depot, pinned down with plastic spikes made for this purpose.. It kills existing weeds by starving them of light, but allows warmth and rain to percolate to the roots of the overhanging tree. It also acts like a mulch, so new weeds will not get a foothold. Once you decide to plant ground cover, you just cut X-shaped slices and fold back, and plant, then refold the cloth up against the plant. Be sure you get the *heavy* grade of cloth, as the light stuff, which is trashbag style poly film with perforations, is useless. The heavyweight comes in big rolls and is about 1/8th inch thick and looks like a bedcover or blanket, is made of glass felt, and resists rotting and tearing. If after installing, you don't like the look of it, you can scatter pine needles or dry hay over it until you decide to plant. Works like a charm.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks

LB

Reply to
LB

Terrace the area first to prevent erosion.

Reply to
Norm Dion