Got screwed by the AC repairman?

I checked the new service valve cap and it is aluminum with no rubber washer inside. It looks slightly dirty/corroded, so I give it a good chance to be the culprit. As you say, it could leak from elsewhere. Given the valve is leaking heavily (blows soap bubbles when I checked), the system is relying on the cap to seal it.

The system is old, but I'd like to get another year or two from it. See my other post of why I doubt I will recoup much of the cost of a new system. John

Reply to
jriegle

refrigerant

Replaced my 15 year old units this year and have been averaging a 30% savings per month ...

Reply to
Steve

I considered those cheap refrigerators and freezers as sealed as they pinch off the filler tube and solder it. Many have no service valves that can leak to atmospheric pressure. because of this, should they really be called sealed? John

Reply to
jriegle

As for myself, I'm 41 years old, and have a two year college degree. I've not been unemployed for more than a week or so since the age of 19. I've also never collected government money in any form. Perhaps there are a few exceptions to your blanket statement?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sure appears to be "a" leak, though maybe not the only one.

Metal caps don't necessarily need a washer, flare fittings are designed to fit tight without one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

refrigerant

If you can be comfortable with just the fan, so be it. I feel your logic is flawed. If you get a new system and run it, your power bill will be less with the new system over comparable run times of your old system.

Where I'm at we run AC's about 7-8 months because of the humidity as well as the heat. You may not have the needs we do.

Reply to
HeatMan

Topping up leaky systems is illegal.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

"jriegle" wrote

Silly us, the customer knows best.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

In a word, yes.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

Leak repair is an option, right? Is there a percentage leak rate that is allowed?

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

Just as a clarification, it depends upon system refrigerant capacity and leakage rate. No requirement to repair most home sized systems, despite how wise it might be.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

jriegle wrote>

He

Let me get this straight. You believe the service port has been leaking freon since the Technician charged the system, 1 YEAR AGO? How much freon do you think it holds? If it was leaking after he charged the system, it would be empty 1 year later. Granted, there are some crooks out there. But remember the saying "shit happens"

Reply to
Over40pirate

That's not the argument. I don't doubt a new system will save money. You said it would pay for itself in two years. I pointed out using my average electric bill I could not approach this even if I kept the unit off in the cooling months. No doubt it would be uncomfortable and I would never actually go through summer with a fan!

My house is small and my cooling season runs from May through Sept.

John

Reply to
jriegle

I put up the difference in my electric bill from winter average to summer avg. Other than the condenser unit running, my electrical usage doesn't change much, yet the AC more than doubles my power usage. However, clearly not near enough to recoup the costs in two years as other poster said.

A new efficient unit will save money, but over a considerable amount of time. Not possible over two years. It may be different in other cases.

John

Reply to
jriegle

Okay, I called the tech out. He checked the inside unit then to the outside unit and put his gauges on the ports and found it to be low. He did find the valve was leaking. He said that he loosend the core and retightend and it was not leaking now. He checked with a spray bottle of what looked like a soap solution. He put the aluminum cap on the high side and the brass one on the low side telling me the low side sweats and the aluminum tends to corrode. He also told me those caps are the flare type that don't need the rubber inside to make a good seal.

I was down one pound of refrigerant. The service call was only $63. It cools like a champ now!

John

Reply to
jriegle

The cap does not keep the charge in. It is just like the little black cap on your car tire. The Schroeder valve keeps the gas in or lets it leak.

These split systems are designed for a life expectancy of about 15 years. Yours is almost twice that age. Be glad. As others have said, it is long past time for some fresher equipment.

Either way,

expensive

could be

job. It has a

fixed or the

replace it

fixed. Keep

replacement is going

now.

condenser,

efficient systems

rubber washer

chance to be

is relying

it. See my

new system.

Reply to
DanG

Sounds like you got a deal and a good tech to boot!

That wasn't that painful, was it?

Reply to
HeatMan

That cap you are bitching about? It is NOT there to seal anything in. Period. It is there to keep dirt from clogging the service port. It could be made of glass, rubber, plastic, or brass, as long as it kept dirt out of the service valve.

You fail to realize that you have a leak ELSEWHERE in the unit, hence your need for a slight recharge..something you should never need unless you have a leak.

OF course, its 27 years old..when was the last time you have had the coils serviced? Many techs overlook a dirty evap coil, or blower when charging, and then guyslike me that know what to look for, end up removing part of the charge later in the season, and cleaning the units.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Well, if the guy screwed you, he's probably gay. If you had fun, then you are gay too. If not, either find a woman, or admit the AC repairman was better than no sex at all.

Since this all happened late last summer, you are probably due to be screwed again. I'd call him back and tell him you want more !!!

Reply to
liberace